Mounts for Import Spindle

I’m building a relatively small MPCNC over the next couple weeks and I am trying to decide on a spindle. The DeWalt DW660 is an attractive option because of its price and the mount is already designed. Does anyone use the import spindle linked in the specifications page of the MPCNC? I read that they are much quieter than the DeWalt, and noise is definitely a consideration for my build, but if the mount is something I need to design myself I would probably start with the DeWalt.

Import spindle link:
https://www.amazon.com/Konmison-Cooled-Spindle-Clamps-Converter/dp/B0154MW4E8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1469560765&sr=1-1&keywords=500w+spindle&linkCode=sl1&tag=vicicn-20&linkId=af80e95e8f739a6ee5817fb9ca9e1666

Side note, I will use a shop vac to keep the dust down so that may render the noise of the router/spindle irrelevant.

This exact subject comes up all the time. The majority of us feel the vac is indeed as loud as the spindle. Less noise is always better but with the dewalt you get a warranty, and more power for the dollar.

1 Like

All good information, thank you. I did not consider the warranty so that is good to know as well.

I think the dewalt’s mount is stiffer as well. Most of the cheap spindles are just DC motors with a collet adapter bolted on. This causes the endmill to stick way lower than with the DeWalt. Lots of extra leverage to cause issues.

I read that as well, didn’t understand the implications until now. Are the issues related to accuracy or mounting? Or both, I guess.

It could be both but mostly accuracy I believe due to the longer arm which creates a lever that can tweak the gantry under load. I bought the 660 the other day in preparation for my build and it really isnt as loud as I thought it would be from talk here. An average sized shop vac is definitely as loud or louder. So I wouldnt worry about the noise unless you have a very quiet vacuum.

what about stl file of mounts for a rotozip rebel type 3?

I don’t know how different your tool is compared to a Rotozip RZ2. If they have the same form factor, there is a Burly mount for the RZ2 on Thingiverse. You will have to use the Burly mounting plate and the Burly nut traps, but, with those, it will fit on a Primo.

As you see what mine look like

Fyi the mount is to be for lr3

If you create your own forum Topic for a mount, you will have a better chance of finding a mount (though I’m not optimistic). Rotozip has not been mentioned in the last three years, so it is unlikely you will find a Primo mount for this tool.

I’m assuming you don’t have the tools or skills to create your own mount. Given its unique shape, it would be difficult for someone on this forum (without this tool) to make you a mount. If you can find a model of an old mount for a different MPCNC that fits your tool, there are people on the forum who might modify it to fit the Primo.

I’d start by examining the mount at the link I gave in my last post. Visually, your tool and the Rotozip in the Thingiverse post look nearly identical. If you think they are close enough they might work, 3D print the first few millimeters of both top and bottom mounts and compare to your tool. If that is a fit, make a full print (low infill, low perimeters) and compare. If that is a fit, and you need the help, post back on the forum, and it is likely that someone will convert it to a Primo mount for you. I’d give it a try.