1/4 endmill settings.

I know every machine is different and require different ESTLCam tool settings but I will be honest I have no idea where to even start.

So I was hopping someone could share their setting to give me a place to start. I am looking to use this 1/4 in 2 flute endmill to drill holes through 3/4 MDF. For threaded T nuts in my wasteboard. I am using this endmill because I needed something long enough to cut through that 3/4 in and this is what I could find (Not going to wait for the shipping of an endmill from aliexpress just for this one job)

Any advise would be appreciated.

How large is the hole you’re making? If you want a 1/4" hole you are much, much better off with a drill bit.

Straight plunging with an endmill is the worst operation you can do. You know those motorcycles that roll around on the inside of the metal spheres? In a similar way, an endmill will try to “roll” around the inside of the hole which in the best case leaves you with an awful hole. Drill bits are a very different story because they are designed to slip along their flutes, in contrast to an endmill which is designed to bite.

While I agree completely, for a wasteboard application, I think it’s fine. if the t nut is 5/16" then maybe make the hole a little larger, and it should give you enough room to move around and create a decent dimensioned hole. if the hole requires is indeed 1/4", grab a 1/4" drill bit.

I run my quarter inch endmills at 15mm/s, but that’s on my lowrider. I think if you do helical drill it just goes as fast as your z speed, which all mine run at the max so 8mm/s. So make your holes 5/16" and helical drill into them. The cool thing about being the spoil board is you can set up all the holes in cad, then before you go crazy with all the holes, just do one with your test speeds. When you find one that works well, do the rest with that speed and feed. Start where you think you won’t need hold downs that often, in case the first try really goobers it up.