1" Conduit Conspiracy

I’m Building a Lowrider2. I bought the parts bundle from V1 and printed the 25.4mm parts. I am in Saskatchewan, Canada. I found out that 1" Conduit OD is not 25.4mm it is 29.5mm(the ID isn’t even 1"). 3/4inch conduit is 23.4mm OD, so that doesn’t work. Common 1" steel pipe, from a plumbing shop and a welding shop, is 26.6mm. Genuine 1" tubing has proven to be very hard to find. It is not an off the shelf purchase like I assumed. I will have to order the real deal 1" from a steel supplier. I’m not blaming V1 for my troubles the plans clearly state 25.4mm.

Why is 1" so hard to find? Is true 1" pipe common in the states? Would it be smart for V1 to create 29.5mm and 23.4mm versions if it is so much more common? Has anyone had as much grief as I have with this problem?

I ran around town figuring all this out. This is as much as a cautionary tale as it is a cry for some solid advice. Everything else is coming along great!

Thanks everyone,

Kale

It uses 1" Tube. All 1" pipe has whatever outside diameter that makes sense for the supplier. Most people find a metal supplier close by (and there are some chains) that will have 1" tube. Check again for someplace nearby. It won’t be a home depot, but 1" tubing is really common.

1 Like

You are aware that the conduit requires stainless steel, right? You most likely will have to order it online. And stainless is expensive everywhere. Get it on Amazon Canada to save on shipping. You can’t use anything else.

1 Like

Jeff,

It has to be stainless steel 1" pipe though right?

1 Like

See if you can find a welding or machine shop. Most shops order metal every week or 2. Explain what your building. Stainless tubing comes in seamless and welded. Welded is 1/4 the price and work great. Here in the US it comes in 20’ pieces. Bring your sawsall (and really good blades) or ask them to cut it. I bought 2 - 20’ or $120, enough for MPCNC and Lowrider2.

Tom

1 Like

1" Tube, not pipe. Tube is measured by OD, Pipe measured by ID

and yes, stainless steel

3 Likes

Thanks all,

I’ll piggy back off my dads next steel order. This has been a good learning experience for me. We have never really dealt with round tube before. The distinction between pipe and tube is important.

Thanks everyone,

Kale

1 Like

I found some 1" stainless tube after all. It is quite rare in this province. Anyone in Saskatchewan can find tube at ASA Alloys in Saskatoon. You might have better luck in Regina.

This is what I plan to use for my full sheet build - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072NZQF6V/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A1VCRSRWQX9LP7&psc=1

If there are other Canadians building things up I was able to find my stainless steel tube at Metal Supermarkets locally in Edmonton Alberta, not cheap but not crazy either, I paid $5 a foot for the 1" tube the build asks for.

I was thinking yesterday that it may bode well for companies like Lowes and Home Depot etc, to start thinking about the “maker” community and also start carrying items like V-Slot. Why? Because I think we are starting to turn back to being a DIY society, or DITogether society that was common with our forefathers.

If only. Those companies like Wallyworld only buy based on popularity of a product. It’s complicated but manufacturers have to agree to buy back any unsold goods, pay for shelf locations, and manufacture a significant amount of products prior to being accepted by these companies. Basically, a small manufacturer can’t get products into these monster retailers. Small business owners are falling to the wayside under GOP owned and operated businesses like Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart.

1 Like