1 Dimensional CNC

Wondering if anyone has ever created a 1 Dimensional “CNC”.

Basically what I’m looking to do is create a “guide” for 1 dimensional cutting on my chop saw that would allow me to enter a size into the software whether it be through software on a pc, or ideally thorugh someting like octiprint or a similar web interface.

I have an idea about how i’m going to create the physical guide, but the number entry is where i’m mulling things over yet. Has anyone ever tried using a nema motor with the encoder in it on an SKR or similar board?

3 Likes

Shouldn’t present a problem, an SKR is a bit overkill that is all. Depending on what sort of current you are expecting your drivers to deliver to the ‘actuator’ a cheap and cheerful Uno or Nano with either a cnc shield with a pololu driver or a stand-alone L298 based module would suffice, for higher power actuator motors one of the discrete high current stepper drivers will be required…still driven off the Arduino.

The nice thing about using grbl or Marlin is that it is already done. But if you are capable of editing it, then the software can be way easier.

Here’s a project I made with two axis and a web interface:

1 Like

This is similar to the board I used: https://www.tindie.com/products/33366583/esp32-cnc-pen-laser-controller/

It’s not cheap (and $10 more for the esp32), because it is basically hand made. But it works great with the grbl_esp32 or custom software, like the cam slider.

If you put a manual clamp on the sliding part, you really don’t need much holding torque. Let the machine move it to the correct place, then lock the stop.

6 Likes

Thanks guys, you’ve really given me something to think about. I’m planning to modify an existing fence with digital readout to one that is simple to adjust size on. Been given a small budget to try modify it as opposed to the larger budget of replacing it with a manufactured one. Going to get some parts ordered and put on my programming/design hat.

Dang it. One more build idea added to my over-populated Trello board…