1 year

Uploading now

WOW…that is cutting like it was Balsa Wood, you gotta be happy with that!

Using the MPCNC to build a 3d printer. SWEET!

Does the machine you used to cut the wood part have nema 17 or nema 23 motors?

Also, I love the glass desk and expo/dry erase marker! I might have to do that at work in the CAD office. Anywhere else it would surely get broken by setting tools/parts down on it too hard.

It is pretty common in the engineering dorm to do more complex problems as a group on the windows facing the lake. Next year I am building a desk for my apartment. A glass top might be necessary now.

Hope to give the printer a test drive tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Stock machine NEMA 17’s from the kit.
This poor desk takes a beating, I have dropped a ton of stuff on it. The dry erase comes in handy, forces me to clean up once and a while. No more stacks of scrap paper with random numbers dimensions and equations.
Super cheap at ikea, I just extended the legs with a pvc pipe insert to make it a bit taller.

That is awesome!
Was it just a 1/8" down cut end mill and one or 2 flute?

Ryan, Congrats! I started 3D printing with a Graber I3 back in October last year and put together the MPCNC around the Christmas holiday. I have never been so proud and learnt so much building both. I totally agree you have created a very elegant design considering the immense cost gap between the MPCNC and the other CNC’s. I have never thought I could afford a CNC machine, but even if I could have, I doubt I would have learnt so much in such a short period of time. A big thank you, and wish you reap the benefits of your hard work.

2 flute.
Everything was going so smooth, then I realized one part is too big for my table…dang it! I would just make it bigger but I want everyone to be able to make one so I need to redesign a part. Lame. I got so excited about this thing I didn’t even pay attention to size.

Thanks.

Yesterday and today I actually got to use it as a mill again. I feel like I just built it all over again. I mean, I just cnc milled a bunch of parts in my garage! I really didn’t think I would be able to do that, without dropping a ton of money. Even then I just milled 2 12"x12" pieces, way bigger then the tormach I was looking at could handle. I understand they are made for different things but I built the machine I wanted, and just today I was proud of it all over again.

Can’t wait for the printer design to launch (take your time to make it right though)! Is there a rough estimated cost per printer?

I might be involved in making a rapid prototyping/manufacturing processes lab for student use. We will have a flashforge creator pro that we already have, possibly a gmax 1.5xt, my mpcnc since I don’t have anywhere else good to put it at school, and maybe a couple of other random machines. If I could put together a few printers for a really low cost it would be awesome. Maybe even help people use the existing machines to build their own printer/cnc.

I am curious to see how it stacks up against this machine. My friend has one and the print quality is good and the machine runs beautify but there are quirks that I don’t like.
http://www.colido.com/product/colido-diy/

Nice looking. I really like the work surface. I may have to steal that idea and put glass on top of my desk for those quick notes and calculations.

Wow, that is obnoxious and the post is too old for me to edit it and remove that. Sorry.

Not really a product, more of a project. I might offer parts kits at some point, but really it is nothing new. Just a millable prusa style frame and plastic parts to go with it. I doubt I could offer anything new in terms of price so I am hoping it will be a cool project for some of you guys to make. The knock off prusa kits I bought are a nightmare to build, not fun at all, and I would like to think I know how to assemble a printer.

Trying to make the whole thing pretty easy.

My MPCNC is 5 months old, and has been an endless source of inspiration and enjoyment. I do mostly routing and laser cutting of signs, but I’ve got the parts together to add an extruder, and I have a needle foam cutter built, but still need to mount and try it. Thanks Ryan for sharing your design with all of us!

That is a good goal though. I still really want to build at least one.