10mm Pulley Grub Screws Don't Sit Right

The grub screw on the 10 mm pulley’s don’t hit the flats of the stepper’s shaft. For the pulley to line up correctly with idlers the screws sit below the flat. Anyone else have this issue?

I can flip the pulley over but then the shaft only reaches about half the screw diameter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEYADRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1TVg2pyPDL.pdf

[Edit]
The spec sheet for my motor says the flat is 15mm long, the spec sheet on the automation technologies for the motor that’s sold in the shop says the flat is 21mm long. Should I get ~6mm spacers between the mount and motor and longer screws?

I would use a dremel and just grind the flat a bit further but I’m not recommending that unless you’ve got a steady hand and take it slow. If you overheat the shaft it might warp.

This crossed my mind

:laughing:

1 Like

That might be a bit too much. Though, you could print a stand for the grinder if you don’t have a bench top one and do it that way.

If your pulleys aren’t slipping on the shaft, don’t worry about it. Add some loc-tite, and snug the grub screws up if it helps you sleep better at night.

Adding a flat to the shaft may be the “correct” way to address this, but it is messy and carries the risk of damaging/destroying your stepper motors in the process.

They slipped right off. I think I’ll first try flipping the pulley’s upside down. If that doesn’t work than spacers between the motor mounts and motors to effectively move the flat down. But would the increased lever arm present any issues? Last resort will be to try lengthening the flat.

Has anyone else run into this?

(edit) would a little jbweld be a terrible idea?

I don’t think the lever arm on the steppers is a big deal. As long as it wasn’t a huge spacer, and it was still attached tight.

I wouldn’t do jb weld. I would grind a flat before that. I take my machines apart more often than most though.

1 Like

I have the same problem.
I am adjusting on the axis and I am having loss of steps. I don’t know if this is but I want to avoid it.
Could you solve it?

I think I used some washers as spacers on one motor between the motor and motor mount so the flat would catch the scrub screw. On the others I lost patience and just flipped the pulley over, it only catches like half the screw so I snugged it down tight with some lock tight.

1 Like

Thanks!!

I used the grinder very carefully and lowered the cylindrical part a little more. I hope that works, for now I assemble and it is working without machining. We’ll see when I cut some wood.