12x24 Primo

What mill are you using? I’m getting mixed results cutting aluminum and haven’t gotten it figured out yet. I see you are cutting faster than I was so I’ll try a faster feed but I dont’ get accurate cuts.

I’ve tried several, and this one gets me the best mrr. Only ones I’ve wrecked were from cutting into the mdf below (hence the acrylic spacers now) or jamming full speed into a piece of steel (that just leaves a little ding in the flute that wrecks the finish).

I’ve buried them in aluminun and just peeled the junk out and set it back to work.

What kind of problems are you having?

2 Likes

Well, it hogs out wood so fast that it throws chips all over, including on the tubes where they get stacked up in the bearings and stall the motors.

First time that’s actually been a problem, and I dont really know what to do about it. I didn’t leave enough room for a dust collector mount and I’m not gonna chase it around with the vacuum.

Might have to relegate this guy to engraving, odd aluminum jobs, and very low cubic in removals.

Time for some tiny tube brushes?

1 Like

Do we have a preferred design for these?

I would 100% spend way too much time coming up with something that doesn’t work well.

2 Likes

Braun has a set uploaded to Thingiverse

2 Likes

I printed a couple pieces after scaling, too tight. Blobs on the print. Ran one through the resin printer and it was pretty nice, but i don’t think i can attach it without removing the trucks. My tools are too big.

So in the meantime, i got something of a tslot table together.

My last slot involved me designing some printable slots that use carriage bolts. Worked great unless I needed a lot of pressure (which I did, after losing feeds and speeds). I was able to stiffen the upper lips by laying mdf over them, so this time i just skipped the printed part.

Made a Tnut that fits 1/4 in bolts, and a piece that was slightly oversized to serve as spacers (allowing for some dust and free movement).

Laid some larger strips over top with some room for the bolt, and voila, its done.

3 Likes

That is so very nice

1 Like

Thanks. If anyone is going to try this, consider making the spacer with a ridge a little over 1/4 in wide to save space for the bolt, too. Then use the spacer to make sure the top slats are lined up correctly, too. My gaps are quite inconsistent, but it’s functional so I’m happy.

Might not need something as specialized as this but I probably have something like this in my garage already

2 Likes

That’s neat!

Love the DIY t-track… looks every bit as functional and cost a lot less than my aluminum tracks with toilet bolts. Also nice work on those clamps.

1 Like

Jig-a-deck… not only a catchy name but also looks more durable and easier to use than what I did in a pinch during a larger decking job:

[edit I was scrolling around that jig-a-deck site and saw “Joist Clip”, and wondered WTH is that for? Then I see… and the product image has the guy using a hardware nailer anyways, not a hammer LOL. Most dudes around here use palm nailers for hardware… hardware nailers are just too spendy.

Wow… I won’t even comment on the “disposal jack”, ROTFLOL!]

4 Likes

Well, i chose an nvme drive for my pc when I built it with platters for storage, which convinced me that I didn’t need the BIG nvme. Long story short, I had to store some video in a different location and forgot about it.

This is absolutely NOT the right way to try to cut steel. Three flute, uncoated, high rpm, gave up on the cutting fluid. But it looks like what actually stopped me was a control board error. Really nice endmill, though. Until I got ahold of it, lol.

1 Like

Took everything I learned, made one more attempt. Two flute 6mm. Things were going GREAT until I got near the finish line. The endmill grabbed a little bit and the steel is so hard, the router so strong, it just yanked the gantry and I lost steps. I think this wouldn’t have been an issue with smaller endmills though.

I’ve learned all I care to about larger endmills in steel.

If i ever get around to trying steel again, it’ll be the same type of strategy as here, but with smaller mills. I’ll go full depth for trochoidal with 2-3% stepover, and keep the tip well under the stock. That ought to help save it for those helical moves.

But it won’t be soon. I’m packing for the move!

3 Likes

Nice, that thing is working hard!!

1 Like