18"x30" Build from Texas (first experience with a CNC)

4 Likes

Mistakes there are none, happy accidents they are…

Now you just need a Yoda-fro

2 Likes

Last minute birthday present for my oldest daughter’s friend…

3 Likes

Hey more Texans! Awesome! I’m in the “Texoma” area, close to the lake.

Your projects look awesome. I love the supernatural one lol. I’m hoping to play with wood more after I finish my rebuilds. I’ve been doing mostly aluminum.

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

Maybe I missed it but what software are you using. I am just north of Dallas and am about to start my build.

@wayneivan I’m using Gimp for basic design, Inkscape to convert to DXF Files, and estlcam to prepare tool paths.

I am running it headless (I got the LCD screen from the shop here), so I design on my computer, then save the gcode to an SD card to take out to the workshop.

Built a little cabinet for the CNC, and got it set into my shop last night. Tonight hoping to relocate the CNC from the desk on the right to inside the cabinet. Then I need to put a lip and plexi door on the front, and pipe in the vacuum. Going to use the bottom shelf for lumber storage, and run the controls out to the right front corner of the cabinet.

2 Likes

3 Likes

You wasted no time getting that dirty. Such a nice cabinet.

I have realized that even with dust collection, a cabinet is very helpful. I sat next to my MPCNC for an hour as it cut some pink foam. Didn’t really see any dust that I noticed but boy the next morning I could tell that I had breathed it. Nasty dry cough. Took a few days before I got rid of it.

1 Like

Very nice build, I too really like the cabinet. I live in New Jersey now but I spent a year building an automated sorting hub in Austin. Golfing in February, what’s not to love :smile:

1 Like

This happened to me cutting MDF one time. I had the machine setup by the open garage door with a box fan blowing the dust out into the driveway. Silly me thought that I’d be ok working in the garage. I was coughing up MDF dust for over a week. Now I wear my dust max anytime the machine is running… period.

2 Likes

For a local festival today

3 Likes

Christmas gift for my in-laws.

3 Likes

Seems the older I get the less tolerance I have for fine wood dust. It got to where I too was hacking for days after I used the router, even with a mask, because it took hours for the dust to settle in my closed basement. The router table now lives in the garage, soon to be joined by the MPCNC. MUCH better.

Guys running these in basements or closed rooms really need something like this, even with a dust collector on the router.
4 Likes

The wen one is on my wishlist. It’d be nice to have in the winter for my shop when I don’t have the big doors open.

Yet another little project. Someday I’ll start tackling bigger carves…

This is as last day of semester, christmas gifts for my daughter’s 5th grade class.
One for each kid, and one for each teacher. A couple more plates to carve and cut.

2 Likes