2 quick questions

Are these better?

I do believe so. You can probably do much deeper per pass but that is a great place to start.

OK, I didn’t cut that deep at all on that one. Btw, I want to thank you this has been the most educational and beneficial forums I have ever used. It’s very helpful and everyone seems to be here for the right reason.

I love these forums! I would not be doing this without them, best part of my job (if you can call it a job, more of a badass project).

I learn so much all the time. Everyone has something they know a lot about and are open to learn from others. So awesome.

1 Like

What settings/bit would you recommend for milling the lowrider parts out of a hardwood?

Same, there is not too much difference to a milling bit between a dense and a less dense wood. The edges come out better the denser it is.

1 Like

Ply wood is a better choice. Solid wood will warp, shrink and expand with moisture changes. Even hardwood. Plywood is more stable, and better for functional projects like this. I’m using home Depot plywood (1/2", IIRC), but Baltic Birch mills really nice. It’s too expensive for the low rider, imo.

just cut this with the 1/16 settings. Are the holes too close to the edge? It didn’t look that close in the vector.

I’m not worried about the strength, it is a type of ebony so it’s plenty strong as it is, just want to make sure it will still be functional before I cut the second plate.

Wow, that is nice wood.

I looked at mine, and that seems about right.

1 Like

I actually got it for free jeff. Scrap pieces from my by buddy’s shop.

That is fancy for sure!

The odd shaped holes are usually do to have arcs on or off. I think for small holes you want to keep arcs off because it divides the segments into large straight cuts. I think I always leave them off, the only downside I see is large gcode file size, but gcode is really small anyway.