25.4mm beta set with the new roller beta

well i was concerned how the attachment of the new motor holder was moved to a different location. I got it assembled now and it is not deflecting like I thought it might.

Parts still need post processing, and I have not calculated the bolt size yet for the two belt pulley bearings.

I did find this in the file…

Is this hole in the file supposed to be here?

You should not need support.

That is a 2.5" bolt

a little bit on the bottom is needing support, keeps failing the print at that spot.

You shouldn’t, you might have it upside down if it does. I am pretty sure the newest files I uploaded are all sitting the right way but I’ll check in the morning.

progress so far. one motor mount has to be re-printed.

here is my table corner one inch size. Beta file for making the entire table from 1 inch tubing

is there two pieces j xy or one now?

still need 2

I accidentally ran off 3… 33 hours of printing…

I’ve begun printing the 23.5mm version parts, but I’m wondering if I should cancel that and build the 25.4 ? I see the new stainless you got in is for the 25.4 version right?

Stainless is expensive best I could find so far was $18 per 6’ EMT is $7 per 10’. I’m sure it will be a little nicer if you are using it as a pcb mill, large cnc, or a 3D printer but I’m not convinced it is worth the money yet.

Locally I’m paying $20 for 6 meters here of 304 stainless with 1.5mm wall.

Metal prices are way down from a couple years ago and here in the Philippines, they love their stainless steel. They build jeeps, fences, motorcycle sidecars, all sorts of stuff from it.

Lucky!!

My earlier comment on the 25.4 vs 23.5mm versions was more about asking if I should build the 25.4 due to it being better / stronger than the 23.5. Is this the case?

It is the exact same just sized to fit 25.4mm rails. I will release the new rollers for the other 2 sizes in a day or 2.

The answer depends. What size/strength tubing can you get? The plastic is the same. In the US 25.4mm (1") OD is usually cheaper most everywhere else 25mm OD is cheaper. If you are going stainless.

If you are just milling foam I wouldn’t spend the money. As with any changes it depends on your use. Other than testing the 25.4mm parts I doubt I will spend the money on Stainless again.

Going to be milling wood, potentially over a 4’ span.

Is there somewhere I can look to read about the size options? I am more confused now. I’m not extremely concerned about the cost, I just would like to build the best version I can. So far I have seen mention of 23.5mm, 25.4mm, 25mm versions, is this true?

Yes, those 3 are the OD dimension available to use.

If price is not an option Get stainless with the .050" wall thickness or similar if you are in a metric country, Thinner and might ass well get conduit, thicker it gets heavy fast. This makes the best machine, period.

Im not trying to be difficult but the more information the better. If there was an easy answer I would make a detailed explanation, but there are a world of variables. I have given dimensions and materials for the the machine I think functions in the widest variety of situations. Since you are more than doubling at least one axis it sounds like you have a very specific use in mind. 4’ wood milling 2D, 2.5D, 3D? Plywood, pine, walnut? If you have something specific it would help to know. 3D milling cabinet doors out of maple or just cutting 2D shapes out of mdf?

For starters I would be 3D milling this centerboard for the sailboat I’m building. It’s nearly 4’ long x 1’ wide x 3/4" tall. Made from Sitka Spruce and probably another fairly dense wood.

I guess I should have sourced the tubing first. I’ve got 4-5 of the 23.5m parts printed, but to me, the 25.4 sounds better since it’s bigger tubing. Plus I read comments in this thread about how the new center part looks stronger. Plus I’m always a sucker for the latest and greatest.

All three have the new center already.