2D Drawings

Where can I find 2d Drawings like you can find things in ThingIverse ?

I want to print more things with the pen. Getting used to the machine for now

Google image search? If you’re looking for something specific, that’s the best. And if you’re looking for a certain style, finding one close, and searching for images like that works pretty well too. If you limit it to svgs, you get stuff that scales and draws well.

1 Like

thanks

The crown tutorial should link to a free vector site.

Searching for “line art” or “line art svg” or “vector line art” along with what you’d like images of will usually find stuff.

There are also some things on thingiverse - search for “laser” or “plotter” or “cnc” and you may find some interesting projects.

There’s also openbuilds - their projects section: Projects | OpenBuilds

And Inventables: There are things in their forums like the dino skeletons:

They have a projects section as well: https://www.inventables.com/projects But a lot of their stuff is setup specifically for their machines/software so can take a bit more work to adapt.

Hmmm, maybe it’s time for MPCNC to have a projects repository where we can share files for projects. Or maybe I should stop now while I’m ahead…it’s been years since I wrote any wordpress plugins and I’d rather not delve back into that mess again :smiley:

1 Like

One way to get into 2d drawings is to either look for decals or make your own.

There are tons of results on google image searching for decal + whatever

Dragons

Nature

Banksy

The thing about decals, is they are produced in a way that is friendly to cut on a CNC, so therefore they will lend themselves well to plotting.

Most of the decals you find will be in raster form (png, jpg). To use them you’ll need to convert to vector form, which can be done easily in Inkscape (trace bitmap). Once you have a vector (dxf, svg), you can generate gcode any number of ways.

If you want to make your own, luckily it’s easy too. Load an image into Gimp, then open Colours -> Threshold. This will convert the image to monochrome. Play with the sliders to get a nice effect. If one effect doesn’t do it, consider breaking the image into areas, then find the right setting for each area.

Once you have a 2 color image, you’ll probably have some pixelated artefacts in there. To fix this, put the image through a Gaussian blur. 4 pixels is a good start, but it depends on the image size. After blurring, do another transform operation, and you’ll see the new monochrome image has been smoothed.

Sometimes it helps to upsample the image before doing this process - increase image size with the bicubic option (default). I’ve needed to do this when dealing with intricate designs like these paper cut art images.

Once you’re happy, over to Inkscape to vectorise.

Edit:

Doh! I just realised decals will need to be filled to plot them!

All is not lost, you have options for that. There is a hatch fill extension available, and my new favourite Gcodetools apparently offers ways to do it.

2 Likes

Here is one I made with technique above:

[attachment file=“prince tshirt.png”]

Original image:

[attachment file=47037]

prince1-1.jpg

1 Like

I bought some CDs on ebay (usually jsut a couple bucks each, shipped), containing thousands of (probably :)) licensed, simple images for any purpose you can think of. “cliparts” is my favorite keyword for these kind of stuff. Example: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Creative-Cliparts-/272864934391

What I also do is, for kids stuff, google for e. g. “coloring pages [lego]” and stuff like that. Works wonders!

1 Like

I had a clipart CD! They were popular before the Internet. You could spend hours looking through them. Made presentations just awful, because there was more work spent on finding a close enough clip art than on the content.

1 Like