3d Print troubleshoot-

Sweet! High five! That was crazy, glad you stuck with it. That first print should be a trophy.

Yeah I took a vacation day today to work on it, my wife thinks I’m crazy! I figured if I could get it printing, then getting the router on there would be a piece of cake! Hopefully this summer I will build another one for the elementary school my wife teaches at, they have a pretty cool technology program she is getting started so I figured I had better help her learn. They already have a makerbot, but it gets used very little. I think next year we are going to do an after school CAD-design-build class for kids who want it, so I need to get myself to a level where I can actually explain how some of this stuff works to others.

Thanks for your patience.

Mark
I ran into this same issue with the test Marvin Keychain… what config files did you delete? The exact issue is occurring on mine even after repeating the configuration in Slic3r following vicious instructions.

Vicious… I am using all your hardware as well and its like missing some pieces during layer printing or printing not enough… although I had a solid object, it was very poor.

Oh yeah that does kind of look like mine

I went into file explorer and found where the slicer settings were saved. Mine was in the folder made by slicer: C:/ users /lema0905/appdata/local/repetier host

I deleted every config I made, and went back and entered the posted settings, saving every setting, every screen. Then it magically worked! Also I had another issue going on, z-axis wobble! It’s crazy how such a little movement can cause such a drastic change! That was also making my problem worse. I still don’t quite have it figured out, but its better. I made a coupler out of aluminum and put set screws in it, and i tightened one all the way up, then just tightened the other. By adjusting and tightening them evenly into the rod it improved also. You can see from the pics.

Agreed - that still looks pretty bad - not very high res at all unlike the parts we received… something is maybe different on these latest extruders maybe?
Attached is my second run… just not good at all… its solid, just poor quality.

Belts are tight no slippage - very quiet movement actually
Z is placed onto table before starting print

I am going to print something more square and see where the issues are… at least can show it more instead of this marvin item.

Okay so In repetier you have to save every screen or you will lose your settings, and you have to check that it actually saved them. Early on it was notorious for not actually saving your settings. Just go page by page, close repetier then open and double check all the settings. A pain but you only need to do it one time. Then make sure your custom settings are selected on the slice screen.

As for the z “wobble” I know it matches the thread height but it is actually from a bent allthread. Some times you can just flip it over and it will be better, sometimes you can fix the bend. Also tighten up the z axis bolts to try and keep it a little more steady. If it is bent too bad you will crack you z motor mount. Chased this exact problem at a previous company for months, turned out those 8mm couplers do not work on 5/16 rods. Leaves them uncentered and causes the same issue. That is why I chose to print couplers.

So are you thinking the threaded rod is maybe bent?
It appears pretty straight, I see no struggle going up or down on it.

Wish I knew more about this stuff to help troubleshoot, but it is like its maybe not getting hot enough? I see it at a constant 204 degrees while its printing…
I’m using the common hatchbox brand… red 1.75 PLA.

I have cleared out the settings and redone them… NOTE to Mike… renaming that folder did not clear out the settings My Settings or the configured stuff… I will look for it elsewhere.
But I created 3 new profiles called .27 40% .4 Settings etc and a My Settings and then I just said TEST and all of them following the instructions, all the settings appear to be ok when I load back up the software.

Here is a screen shot of the printer settings where I matched your screen shot changing the 3600 to 4800 etc… that seemed to make it worse.

I actually deleted the .ini files from that repetier folder, then closed the folder, went back into slicer, made a new profile and it seemed to help.

As far as for the threaded rod, it does appear to be a bit bent. I wonder if I were to buy a “straight” 3 foot piece of the threaded rod, and cut a piece off of it, if it would be better…

Also before you print, click the slicer tab, and be positive that the box “override slicer settings” is not checked. For some reason it always is checked every time I open a new file.

Yes all that appears to be ok… I even found the location of where our configs are stored:
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r
In there are 3 folders each with the settings saved from those tabs.
I removed them and created new ones…

Didn’t help… I tried printing a more square type shape such as the Corner Block Lock… it sort of starts out ok… but then skips a lot on the infill etc… I am not familiar enough with extruders to know what’s up…

Ok Here are ALL the screens of my current setup and profiles (MPCNC)

Could it be the stepper currents like another post I saw?

I print hatchbox PLA on those extruders at 198C

It could be but usually that shows up as a texture on your prints.

lets see the rest of your settings screens

Here are the others and will post filament and printer settings as well from Slic3r

I have been printing 205-208 with my other printer, and up to 220 with one of the Hatchbox PLA colors. Maybe with this extruder I can go a little cooler. Its probably a lot warmer where your printer is at than mine is. 67-68F. But running that same temp with your extruder things seem to be a little brittle, so possibly I am too warm.

and remaining filament and printer settings

oh forgot slicer4 screenshot

Hmm, those look good. Lets see some print pics.

Try printing my IE test file linked above. send some pics of that.

Its just flashing nothing printing - red light keeps flashing its on layer 0 of 122…

Power everything off and then retry?