In december @mrehorst kindly shared the files of his sand table Arrakis, which I liked to use as a basis for my own coffee table. In the end I redrew all parts to fit my needs, but the fusion files still were a big help, since this was my first bigger project to draw myself.
The table now finally is in a state to show it here, although i will probably still change up the optics. The size is 120*65cm. The main body is made of 4040 extrusion, the sand tray has a frame of 2020 extrusion with two smooth sides, and a bed of 6mm plywood. Additionally I added 2mm white EVA foam for sound dampening
SK6812 rgbw LEDs are glued directly to the extrusion and are controlled by WLED on a NodeMCU
To have the maximum usable space I mounted the motor to the short side and used pulley blocks in every corner. This way I have a workable bed size of 960x435mm. Also this way I could use a bigger pulley without needing a lot of space. (Please ignore the messy cables. That’s something i still have to work on)
All moving parts are running on UHMWPE sticky table as sliding interfaces. The tension of the magnet carriage can be adjusted by screws. The axis carrier uses some felt as a spring substitute. As magnets I’m using a stack of three 12x12x12mm n52 magnets
Right now I’m using an old Seasonic TFX PSU. The controlboard is an SKR mini E3, which right now is controlled by a Raspberry and Octoprint, though I still want to have a look at Sandipy. Luckily sensorless homing is working fine for me, so i didn’t need aditional endstops. Right now the table can run fine at 100 mm/sec without being to noisy, though at least 150 mm/sec is possible.
The table now is looking like this, although I don’t like it yet too much. I glued vinyl foil to the backside of the glass and added a plywood frame. (The screw holes obviously still have to be covered.) I’m still searching for better ideas.
Finally here are some designs the table drew: