So about a month ago I decided I needed a full sheet 4’x8’ CNC router in the shop to build some of the kayaks and canoes I want to start working on. Not to mention the million other uses I could find for such a capable tool. I started to look and man $5k for a plug and play option was kind of out my price range. So the search for more economical options began. Leading me here and thus building my own LR2.
So i printed all the parts out in yellow to match the Dewalt Router. I used PLA on my Monoprice Select Plus set at .2mm layer height 60%infill with triangles and .8mm shell thickness. Took about 40hrs to print all the parts and I used an entire 2.2lb spool of filament. I upgraded the belt tensioning using Karlis Zalitis’ design. I also used his Z end stop design as well works great. Check him out on Thingy.
I designed the brackets to hold the SKR and screen to slip over the Yplate. It requires a couple small notches to be cut out of the top of the Y plate but no biggie. I secured the SKR to the board with hot glue. ( Side note - Hot Glue releases with ISO alcohol) That way if I need to replace or troubleshoot I can simple spray some ISO on the glue and pop it right off.
I went to get the SS Tubing from Metal Supermarket but they were out of stock so I just got the standard steel. It was black and dirty but after ten minutes with an orbital and some 220 grit they were smooth and shiny.
I soldered all the connections and added JST HX connectors to all the connections on the board. I used the pre crimped 18awg silicone wire JST HX kit for that, makes life so much easier. I also cut all the wires right at the stepper and soldered on 18awg shielded 4 strand wire to each motor. I used 24awg 4 wire for the end stops and put two together where I could. I added JST HX connectors to the board side of the end stop wires and 2.8 type crimp connector at the switch so I could swap them around to troubleshoot if needed (glad I did this)!
I used the SKR 1.4 Turbo and TMC 2209 drivers with a BTT 3.5 V3 TFT screen. I cut the power supply barrel end off and soldered on two wires to get screwed down on the board. This way you can avoid any issues with those little green and black connectors that come with the control boards.
The table was constructed from one sheet of 3/4" plywood, one sheet of 1/2" MDF and three 4x4 posts. It uses some 1/2" pipe for hinges and rotates on the y axis almost 90 degrees vertical with the LR2 mounted. The legs store in the table and it only takes a few minutes to set up. I added some work bench type caster so I could roll to the work area and set down stable and flat. I added some leveling feet to the legs to adjust for uneven surfaces. I have a 3D cad model of the table if anyone is interested. here’s the link top the video of me setting up the table without the lowrider on it.
Heres some more pics as it sits. I plan to add a drag chain to the gantry for wires and connect to my soon to be built on my LR2 dust collection system.
I’m planning to mill out the aluminum ZX gantry connectors and add a lexan 611 plate with LED’s and a dust skirt as well. I want to add a laser and be able to cut vinyl as well so this should be a fun project moving forward.
Thanks agin to evryone here and especially V1 Engineering for providing the average maker an economical way to get a CNC router setup in their shop/garage.