5/16" hardware

I have been sorting bolts as my idle task this week. I think I hace all my spare 5/16" hardware in one place now.

I have been debating with myself when it makes sense to stop and just throw the rest away. I know hardware is getting more expensive, but it is still cheap relative to my time. I convinced myself I only need to save stuff that could possibly save me a trip to the hardware store. If I can sort 200 bolts in 20 mins, and 1/200 bolts saved will eventually save me a trip, then I will break even. I am generally sorting a lot faster than that though. I’m not sure how many of these will be useful. I also need to know I have it and find it before I give up and return to the store.

2 Likes

I put one M8 bolt and one M8 nut in there, just to keep things interesting.

3 Likes

And exactly one coupler nut. Memories…

1 Like

I have a bunch of hardware sorted in small boxes. I never plan on using it, it will stay where it is until I move, then trash or craigslist free list. Lots of 1’ all thread and coupler nuts…speaking of, I might actually have a use for it. Today…Dang, thanks Heffe.

3 Likes

I have some of those too, but I made this hardware cabinet before those were created.

1 Like

Heh, I used ice cream containers. Then we moved, and dad has all the containers and hardware now.

2 Likes

It would be a fun man vs machine to print a bucket and kill an ice cream tub :ice_cream: in a race.

You need to start training your little monkeys. But it can’t be too soon or your vacuum will get shredded by dropped hardware and there’s a finite window where they’ll have fun doing it. :grin:

2 Likes

I have a little pile of hardware on my work table from projects or that I find on the floor round here. If I start a new project and I get my hardware totes out I will sort them and put them away. Feels so good to clear that little pile off the table.

3 Likes

My 4yo insisted on helping for 45s, and then she changed her mind. She didn’t make too much of a mess. Byt there was a lot of sorting by color instead of length or thread count.

3 Likes