500W Brushless Spindle

So! I ordered my first things from Banggood. Scary for me but all in all a good experience. I searched and found a 500W brushless spindle and whenit came in I tested it on the bench and it works great. I already had a couple 48V power supplies so not a big deal for me.

Lesson learned. Measure the spindle before you print the mounts. Assuming (We all know what that means) that it was a 52mm chinese spindle I printed the DW660 mount and dust shoe along with the adapters that make the chinese spindle fit. Problem was that the adapters did nt fit the bolt holes. Not thinking I found another 52 mm mount with wings on it to mount a dust shoe. I liked this option and printed it out. Spindle did not fit.

At this point I got my calipers out and discovered that the body is 55mm and the silver rings are 57mm.

Found a mount and am printing them out. No dust shoe but may have found an option here that I like.

What I now have is two sets of 52mm mounts that are up for grabs. if you are close come pick them up. Happy to mail them to someone too. Just hate to waste them.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

I’m the guy who designed that 52mm adapter (I think that the blue dust shoe might be my remix as well). I was excited to see someone else who was using it so I hopped onto Fusion and tweaked the adapters to “hopefully” work with the standard 55mm brushless spindle geometry (schematic I used below). The schematics don’t show how long the 57mm diameter rings are, so I am hoping they won’t interfere.

I am attaching some new adapter STLs and they should still fit in the DW660 dust shoe you already printed. Let me know if you give them a try and if they work I’ll add them to the thingiverse post.

Cheers!

[attachment file=88888]

55mm-Spindle-Adaptor.zip (47.9 KB)

2 Likes

Hey Eric!

It is your low profile version and... wow! Thanks! I loved the design even though I am not planning to use the DW. I have been tinkering with Fusion but the brewery keeps me occupied to full time these days. Would love to figure out how to remixit to be spindle only.

Will get it printed and try it out and let you know. Silver rings are 14.5mm on the bottom and 20 on the top for your reference.

R/

Mike

No problem. The adapter is nice if you switch back and forth between spindle and DeWalt like I do, but it just seems like one more point of failure if you don’t need it.

I had been working on a remix of the the dust shoe to work directly with the 52mm spindle before I designed the adapter. I just looked back at it and adjusted the diameters to 57mm at the bottom 55mm for the upper clamp. I’ve attached the models here, but I’ll put it all on thingiverse too in case others have similar issues.

55mm-Spindle-Dust-Shoe.zip (283 KB)

Eric,

The generosity is overwhelming. I printed the adapters and put them in. The bottom one works like a charm but I ran into an issue on the top. It looks like the adapter works great but something is wonky with the outside clamp.

The ears did not line up well with the mount side and the whole clamp is strangely smaller.

I attached some pictures. Managed to break it :frowning:

R/

Mike

Hey Mike,

I forgot that Ryan released those new “Burly” 660 mounts recently. I knew that they were a little thicker, but did not realize that the holes don’t line up with the older parts.

The older parts line up with the old bracket.

[attachment file=“Old Mounts.png”]
But the new ones don’t.

[attachment file=“Mismatched Mounts.png”]
I tweaked the “Burly” upper clamp so that it should hold the 3/4" PVC.

[attachment file=“New Clamp.png”]
Thanks for trying these designs out and helping me find all of these issues. I am attaching the new “Burly” upper clamp now, and I’ll put all of this up on thingiverse if anyone wants to find all the parts.

Forgot to attach the new clamp model.

[attachment file=“New Clamp.png”]

Burly-Tube-Clamp-2.zip (79.5 KB)

Printed the models in the first zip with all four. They came out great and I will try to get them mounted this evening. Heck there is a winter storm coming tomorrow so maybe I get a day off work…

Printed out nicely. The holes for the router are a tad bit tight but honestly a little bit of sanding will clean that up. Forgot to stop and get magnets on the way home last night so I will get that going tonight. Lost about 15mm of travel due to the dust tube mounts but was planning on expanding the machine slightly anyway.

I printed with 4 perimeters so I should have plenty of meat to sand a little. Could also be a function of the elephants foot I get.

Some feedback. Maybe putting a plate on one side of the lower mount that we can run a screw up into the spindle body might help?

Also What about a slot on the side that a thin wrench would fit through to allow a little better access to the collet shaft. I used the wrenches that came with my HF trim rougher and filed the small one to fit the shaft. Works great!

1 Like

That’s awesome! Those are good suggestions and I will start tweaking the design to implement them.

Like you said, 15mm of lost travel isn’t a deal breaker, but on smaller machines that can hurt. I originally spaced the tube out 60mm from the spindle because when I first started tweaking the dust shoe I was using upper clamp from Tom’s dust shoe design. I think I can reduce the spacing by ~10mm which should decrease the lost xy travel, reduce the lever arm, and should straighten the vacuum path slightly helping with pressure drop.

A few questions:

• How much extra space would you need to access the collet shaft? I think I can raise the bottom edge of the lower clamp ~5mm without affecting the rest of the design, would that be enough to get a thin wrench in there?
  • Are both the upper and lower clamps too tight on the spindle?
Thanks

I made some tweaks to the 55mm spindle mount. I raised the bottom of the lower clamp to give clearance for a thin wrench and adjusted the dust shoe to match. I also added some mounting points for the M4 holes on the bottom of the spindle (only on the clamp side) and moved the hose point in by about 12 mm in order to save space. I am also playing with a new design for the upper clamp using a zip tie in order to give a little more flexibility on the type of pipe or tube being used. I also upped the spindle diameter size and added chamfers to loosen the fit a little (Still should be no problem to get the clamps tight).

If you don’t mind the lost workspace or need the extra mounting holes, then these are definitely not worth the print, but if you do decide to try them out don’t bother with the “slightly upgraded” upper and lower mounts. The only changes on those are for tolerances, which you should be able to fix with sanding.

55mm-Spindle-Dust-Shoe-V2-1.zip (294 KB)

1 Like

Do you have a mount for the Primo Version yet?