65mm Diameter router mount

Hi Guys,

This is the router mount I’ve designed on Tinkercad for my MPCNC. I’ve used it for a while now and it seems to work pretty well so I though I could share it.

It mounts directly on the standard MPCNC tool mount.
There are plenty of grooves and holes for cooling.
It is fairly rigid, I’ve printed it with PLA and no problem at all.

The basic settings for my print:
0.4mm nozzle
0.2mm layer height
3 perimeters
50% infill
Supports on (not absolutely necessary but the results will be better).

I was afraid at first that the router might run too hot and soften the PLA, so I’ve used a trick to insulate the router from it. You just need an old Hair dryer.

Inside the hair dryer, you will find a sheet of fiberish material, which looks like a shiny paper. This sheet is a great insulator, which prevent the plastic to melt due to the very high temperature of the heat resistors. Just take this sheet, wrap it around your router and put the router in its support.

So far, it works perfectly. I didn’t try running without this insulator, I assume it should still be fine since the router didn’t get very hot, but I don’t really want to ruin everything in case things go wrong.

Anyway, hope it’ll help!

spin.png

CNC_Spindel_holder.zip (428 KB)

A picture in real life, doing some serious work on 20 mm crappy plywood.

By the way, I was a bit surprised to discover that here, in China, whenever they don’t have enough wood to finish their plywood, well… they just pour concrete inside!
No wonder why my saw blades dull so fast…

Chinese Qualitay

What is the router you’re using on your MPCNC?

Heh, probably fell into the press and they missed it. When I was a kid I lived in south Georgia. Our drafting class took a field trip to a Georgia Pacific plywood factory. Pretty cool to watch two to three foot long logs fall into a chipper with a 8 foot diameter face! They had a bolt that used a 3" wrench on a shelf that fell into the plywood press. It wasn’t round anymore. Usually they run the sheets through a metal detector, but I guess concrete wouldn’t show up.

@Saaif: It is just a random no-name chinese router I’ve purchased in a shop near my house. Doesn’t really matters as long as the diameter of your router is the same,

Even if it is not the same, the drawing is very easy to edit in tinkercad, so you can adapt it to your own router if you want.

@Barry: Hehe, I’m pretty sure it was intentional… The concrete is filling some empty spots…

That’s really not the first time I see that here. You know, in China you often see some really weird stuff in terms of quality control XD

That’s both awesome, and kinda scary at the same time!

Heh, when we were tiling my bathroom I had to pay extra to get the special concrete plywood. :wink:

Well, apparently I will have to design another router holder since I just won this one on Instructables.com:
https://www.amazon.com/RotoZip-Tools-SS560vsc-31-120-volt-Spiral/dp/B00TODY8BQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478891014&sr=8-1&keywords=Roto+Saw%2B+Dust+Vault#productDetails

It seems great, I’ll probably use it for CNC milling some electronic circuits.
The only downside will be that It will be hard to design a holder since the shape is not usual.

Many thanks for sharing your design. Is this for the MPCNC F / 25mm version?

Yes, 25mm version :slight_smile:

Maybe it could work for other versions too, but I’m not sure.

If it mounts to the 525 tool mount, it should fit C and J the same.

I’ll need to print one for my Makita which is 65mm. The Hicwic mount I did for the Dremel really isn’t the most rigid.

This one is very rigid and provides enough cooling. I’ve used it for several months and no problem at all.

I’ve switched to another spindle which is 55 mm now, I’ll try to put its design as well on the forum whenever I’ll have some time.

@forcerouge thanks for the design it works great!

1 Like