$79 laser engraver on Amazon... any good?

I’m still tempted. Not sure I’m gonna be able to get my lowrider dialed in enough to do small picture laser work. Did you have to reflash the board or anything to get it to run gcode from lightburn (or whatever software you’re using?)

I did not buy it. I am only passing this along. I got possibly the last of the 79 dollar ones. And yes i followed the 2 posts above. One to flash grbl the other to set proper settings.

Sorry, last comment was directed towards Barry.

1 Like

For anyone still wanting one of these, the CENOZ one posted about originally is back in stock with currently 11 left.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FLJ39MC

3 Likes

Just a FYI… I’ve got my original $79 Centoz machine ready to deliver to my friend. The original JL1 controller was successfully flashed to GRBL 1.1f using just a Windows computer and @LsrSal’s original firmware download (w/ updater.exe and ROM.bin). I added a printed Z-lift mechanism and modded it to use a couple of different lasers. I’ve used it in this thread to show its capabilities on a number of different materials and even demonstrated its use with Xtool’s RA2 rotary accessory.

This morning, I unboxed the second of these $79 laser engravers (the one I’ll keep…) and have successfully flashed GRBL 1.1f using the exact same procedure as before. My plan is to replicate my friend’s machine and so far I’m still impressed. I wish it didn’t require any “loving touch”/“sweat equity” to make it really useful but if a person is willing – and a little bit “handy” – it can be a very fun, educational, and satisfying project for not too much $$$.

It’ll be interesting to see how long those 11 machines last out on Amazon… :smiley:

– David

2 Likes

So tempting, for the parts alone.

Edit: Since this topic is focused on maximizing value out of this $79 3W marvel, I’ve moved my request for cutting capable laser recommendations to Xtool has a new quad diode 20w laser and they're supposed to be filling pre-orders of it - #9 by azab2c

An hour or so later, only 6 left… :crazy_face:

I bought one as well. It’ll be nice to have two machines and to have the same machine you, the master, do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, good grief… :roll_eyes:

Glad you were able to get ANOTHER one, though… :wink:

It went up to 7 for some reason, and now that I’ve ordered one, it is back to 6.

1 Like

I just checked the link and as of 10:20am (EDT) on 22 Sept, they are showing 13 in stock. I hope they last as I am tempted to grab one.

1 Like

Well, as always, life happened yesterday afternoon/evening, and I didn’t get back to the Amazons until late last night. Fortunately, the listing was still good and they had 12 left in stock, so I pulled the trigger. (Here’s hoping the Missuss doesn’t do the same!). I just looked again (7:45am EDT), and it is still showing available with 11 left in stock if anyone else is still looking to grab one!

1 Like

They might have 100s and just adding them 12 at a time.

1 Like

Nothing like a scarcity of resources to make a person want one.

1 Like

This community is actually what made me want one, and have been eyeing them for a while. This community is also what gave me the link to something that is scarce for the price I am really willing to pay!! LOL!!! I hate you guys (but not really)!!!

3 Likes

Did you have to reverse your x axis stepper wiring hen you flashed to GRBL? my system originally homed front right and it looks like the motor is running reverse. Time has been tight, so I have not had time to play with this gem and dial it in as I had hoped so I have not had time to investigate.

1 Like

No wiring needs to be changed… it is easily changed with Grbl settings. Specifically, $3 is the “Direction port invert, mask” and is used to change the direction of any axis…

Screenshot 2022-09-26 1.44.20 PM

On my machine, $3=2 sets the correct direction for X and Y.

– David

2 Likes

Two Questions:

1. Is this the same spec machine and now $9 cheaper?

2. Has anyone who’s not all that experienced with flashing things and other mystical practices but who can follow reasonably well written directions managed to get one up and running?

$70 is really tempting for a laser I can get working but it’s a bit much for a paper weight.

1 Like

Paul,

There are a couple of machines JL1 and JL2 in the original Amazon link in post #1. The JL1 is full-frame machine (currently sold out?) and JL2 is a “minimalist” cantilevered-arm machine, currently about $10 less at $69. I think both machines use the same JL1 controller board and can be flashed with GRBL… but I’ve seen prices ranging from $75 up to $99. Getting what you want will probably require patience and being in the right place at the right time; i.e. here’s another link to the identical JL1 machine, currently offering it for $89.

As I explained in post #120, I purchased two of the JL1 machines and have successfully flashed both with GRBL 1.1f firmware. The JL1 is the machine I’ve “featured” throughout this thread but the JL2 would do just as well… however, the JL2 might have trouble with some of the larger/heavier laser modules people might be tempted to mount on the carriage.

Flashing GRBL on the machine as I did is a simple but exact procedure… and the utility program to do it gives absolutely no status information to help inspire confidence it worked. But if you are aware of the lack of information it provides and have the courage to try, it actually is quite simple and quick and has a good chance of completing successfully.

That said, I would try to hold out for the JL1 machine… as it at least gives you more parts to put in your stash if all else fails.

– David

1 Like

David
Many Thanks! to you for so much of this thread and for taking the time to offer your advice which having seen so much of your laser work here and in other threads I can only take as ‘Good as Gold’!

I think I’ll wait as you suggest as I have no shortage of things to do, just today one of my car windows decided to start misbehaving and of course it couldn’t have a simple switch but an amplifier and/or control box instead which may well cost (not be worth) more than my 22 year old car. :scream:

3 Likes