80mm Spindle Suspension

Ever need some extra support for your oversized payload? I got you covered.

I’m working on some suspension for my 80mm spindle. I haven’t fully gotten this machine working, but I didn’t think it was right to ask a stepper to hold up the 11lb behemouth by itself. I thought I’d bring in a 15lb gas spring.

I haven’t designed the tool holder yet, but here’s a picture of the Z-Axis supporting the spindles weight without the help of the stepper.

[attachment file=108770]

More to come.

1 Like

Cool. I have a few spring assist tool holders they are pretty cheap and have a decent consistency to the load handling. That is much cleaner though.

Pretty much there!

https://youtu.be/QWx9K7QK7zQ

Designed the spindle holder! Couldn’t use the original tool holder due to clearance.

Ryan: This is a spring assisted tool holder. The purpose would be to give a counterweight to a heavy Z load. Without the spring, the single Z stepper has to lift this huge piece of metal all over the place. I’m thinking I can get some faster z travel with this and maybe run that stepper a little cooler (Idk if that will be an issue anyway).

Also, if I cut power to the machine, the Z-Axis stays in place and doesn’t crash into the workpiece.

[attachment file=“Pic 1.jpg”]
[attachment file=“Pic 2.jpg”]
[attachment file=“Pic 3.jpg”]

1 Like

That is cool!

How does it work? That looks to be a very small Z stepper so if it is doing even normal speeds with that large spindle you did good work!

Great idea for sure.

any chance to share the gas spring model and STLs ?

how does this heavy spindle work for actual cutting ?