8th Grade MP3DP

Glad it’s better, although you won’t know until you get movement that the Arduino is completely fine. It was probably just the MOSFET though.

Don’t beat yourself up over it. That placement of MOSFETs is the worst. It is a really common mistake to short those.

Ok, new road block…installed arduino, Once USB is installed in the device manager, it comes up as “USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3)”. When I open S3D and attempt to connect the printer, the following appears. (See first pic).

I removed the Ramps from the 2560 and decided to compile the “blinking” example from the arduino software. That appears to be working fine. Both my RAMPS were purchased here…What are we missing…

The pic again

Again

I should also point out that if I plug in the LCD screen, all we get is a “lit up” screen. NO text. I have not plugged in or unplugged any components from the ramps while power is applied either by the power supply or USB.

is there a “tweaked” firmware that we should update to the ramps SPECIFICALLY for the MP3DP?

What speed are you trying to communicate with the arduino? I’m pretty sure I’m using incredibly close to stock marlin firmware on my mp3dp…

1. BOTH in software and device manager

If it still has the printer firmware on it , try to use the arduino UI to talk to it…

There is firmware just for the mp3dp on the project page (rc8 even) and the buadrate is 250000

The firmware is here:
https://www.v1engineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/MP3DP_RC8.zip

The instructions for building/uploading it are here:
https://www.v1engineering.com/marlin-firmware/

Be aware that to get the LCD to work, you also need the u8glib:
“The LCD requires this file, http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/u8glib, to be added to your Arduino library.”

The RC8 firmware in that zip is set to 250000, like Ryan said. So if you install the u8glib, unzip that RC8 firmware, and then upload it to the mega, you should see the LCD (unless you got the cables backwards) and you should be able to connect at 2500000 from printer software (pronterface, repetier host, etc) Probably S3D, but I’ve never used that.

You can also remove the RAMPS board while trying to figure this out, just to remove suspicions. You won’t be able to do anything without the RAMPS board, and you should quickly get the temperature error, but if you can see something on the screen, then you can reinstall the RAMPS board.

SUCCESS!!!

Printer is moving in X and Y directions as expected. Hooray! Thanks Ryan and Jeff. Now, Z is another story. It tries to move but with difficulty. We are wondering if it has to do with the way we have the steppers wired to the ramps. Depending on the documentation that you follow, some use BOTH connectors available on the RAMPS for the Z steppers and others document splicing the motors together and using only one port. Which should we do? For now, we are using BOTH ports…

Think we are getting really close here!!!

Thanks in advance,

Jon and Rebecca

Both. They should be plugged in the same direction as well.

Yep, BOTH connected in the same direction. Other thoughts?

RJ

What’s it doing? It does move, it sounds funny, it doesn’t move? Maybe a video with sound would help?

Is it easy to move by hand? It needs to be pretty square/level or it can bind. What is it doing?

Unless they just sit there, in which case, no point in a video, probably.

I think our next step is to DISCONNECT the lead screws and see if the motors move freely…

Thank God I had the other ramps board. It is a bad DRIVER. Swapped out the driver and she is spinning beautifully now!!!

Just got to get the display to work. Not sure where to set motherboard to 33. Config.h is good. Library added. Any ideas?