9-axis 32-bit Marlin board

It may have the bootloader installed fine. On the skr, you build it and put the newly created firmware.bin on the sd card.

Good idea, but no luck. I also tried converting the bin to Intel hex format and saving it as firmware.hex. When I connect my scope to the serial pins, I’m not seeing anything resembling data. Actually, probing around, I can’t find anything that resembles activity.

Yeah I also don’t see any signs of life. I have tried I don’t know how many things to get this working.

There are two Boot pins. You can see it in FLYF407ZG/blob/master/picture/Illustrating.png BT0, BT1
Boot configuration is explained in STM32F4 Reference Manual page 69ff

Application Note AN4854 could also help

Welcome! Jumping in with serious tech help, even! Whoot!

Read some posts (30?), take your time reading them (10min?), and like some of them (5?). and you’ll get out of newbie purgatory and be able to post links and such…

1 Like

According to a commit in Klipper firmware repository, firmware update is supposed to work just like that: by dropping a file called firmware.bin to an SD card. Did you guys have any luck with this?

I’m currently considering this board for an upcoming tool-changing 3D printer build. Not sure if I will pull the trigger though.

1 Like

I’ve spent a lot of hours on this with no luck yet. I tried the .bin on SD method without success.

I bet if you bought anttix one, he would figure it out.

TCH,come on guys…if you read the readme with the bootloader - 为3d打印机主板上传固件所写的bootload 使用sdio的主板才可以正常烧录进去 you would know that…The bootload written by uploading the firmware for the 3D printer motherboard can only be burned in using the sdio motherboard…at least that is what google translate thinks it says…anybody got an sdio motherboard? :frowning:

2 Likes

LOL.

As it happens one of my current projects is programming a PCB that I designed that uses almost the same chip (F405). So I even have an ST-LINK programmer, but without a full schematic I couldn’t find easy access to the SWD/JTAG pins and my attempts to solder leads directly to the MCU was unsuccessful.

One weird/interesting thing… as I mentioned I have spent like 20+ hours on this damn thing. That included the “Just put firmware.bin on the SD card” attempts. When I tried again this last weekend I noticed that the file on the SD card was magically renamed firmware.bin => fly.cur :upside_down_face:. However (a) assuming this meant the firmware got flashed or something, the board’s behaviour did not change; (b) I could not reproduce it with any combination of jumpering BOOT0, BOOT1, or any of my funky electron-stimulating dances.

I’m considering designing and producing a similar board that is CNC-centric with lots of stepper drivers and screw or spring terminals so I don’t need to f around with a tiny board with tiny Dupont or similar terminals. That’s what passes for fun around here.

Ok, I’m intrigued now. If it does rename a file on SD card that indicates the bootloader is there and at least did something so there should not be a need to mess with JTAG.

I went ahead and ordered one from a reputable 3D printer junk seller on Ali. Well as reputable as these oriental companies ever are … but at least there is a remote chance they’ll refund it if it doesn’t work. The cost of the board, if one deducts the “regular” cost of nine TMC2209 drivers that come with it, is about $25 or so thus I will not cry a river if it doesn’t work out.

1 Like

I’d suggest designing around Trinamic TMC5161s or Toshiba TB67S109 (lot cheaper but for small volume it probably doesn’t matter much). 3.5A RMS rating on these chips should keep them nice and cool with common (2A) stepper choices and having a bit of extra oomph is a nice bonus :wink:

Hello All, I purchased one of these boards because I too loved all of the outputs for an astonishingly low price, and I too was disappointed and bewildered by the lack of information on the board which is how I came across this forum. I too found myself futilely attempting to upload a bootloader to no avail, but there is a solution and now my device is working as one would expect such a board to work.

I found a Facebook group called “flyboard32bit 3d printer board(unofficial)” (its private so you gotta join) where some absolute hero of a person posted a link to the manufacturer’s instruction manual. Those instructions should work, but since you have to join the group to get at that manual and I can’t post links here i’ll briefly explain the steps I took.(I did this all in windows 10)

1. You may or may not need to install the STM32 Virtual COM Port Driver, but I did. Its on the ST website

2. Download the Entire “English firmware” folder from the Flymaker Github under: /FLYmaker/FLYF407ZG/tree/master/

3.Download & install the windows GIT client from git-scm

1. Download & install “Visual Studio Code” code editor (surely you could use your favorite editor/IDE but again this is what I did)

2. Open visual studio code and install python and then install the PlatformIO extension

6.In VSCode open the "“English firmware” folder then in the VSCode explorer navigate to “/marlin/configuration.h” (customizing the Marlin config is outside of the scope of this post)

1. Click the PlatforIO icon on the left menu pane and then click build (this will take a minute).

8.You should now have a “firmware.bin” file located in \English-firmware.pio\build\FLYF407ZG . copy this file to your SD card and pop it into your Geek3d/Flyboard and power it on (I used a Usb cable connected to my computer for power, also No jumpers were set on my board)

9.After a minute or so power cycle your board and when it comes back up windows will detect your board as a new STMicroelectronics virtual com port.

(the instruction document also has the jumper settings for SPI , Uart etc drivers so that might be relevant in your situation and I haven’t seen those settings anywhere else.)

Hope this helps someone!

2 Likes

That is the same process as the skr boards. It’s a shame the manual is stuck in a private FB page. The company doesn’t just post their manuals somewhere?

I’d guess that they are the first to have that board and are concerned about Chinese copies. Of the two Chinese traders I go through, neither will send anything to a Chinese address. Neither have any scruples about making copies though.

yeah its really the only single 9axis board i’ve found in this price range, but the documentation is a nightmare. I feel like if this thing can build a community around it it will be very popular, but without support its going to wallow. I almost purchased one of the bigtreetech GTR boards with the M5 expansion when I read about it in this thread, but I was too enamored with a single board solution. I did note that The GTR uses the same cpu and my next steps were to check out the GTR documentation to see if that would work, but i found the FB group first.

Haha shouldn’t they know better than anyone that that is an exercise in futility, the boards will get copied if they sell, the best they can hope for imo is to have the biggest name associated with 9axis and a loyal community…but I mean I don’t actually work in china or with Chinese manufactures so i am talking out of my hat for the most part.

I got the same board in the mail about a month ago but I’ve been way too busy with other stuff to give it any love yet :frowning:

So the secret sauce is just installing the STM com port driver?

If you want a true 6 axix Marlin, there you go :

On Github : DerAndere1/Marlin

Not everything is tested, but it worked fine for me on STM32F103 for 4 axes. There are many branches, with various status. There was mid 2019 a large code commit that changed all variables structure and makes it complicated to be Marlin 2.0.0 compatible, but most of the stuff is there.