98% finished but still having a few problems

I finished getting the MPCNC built and operating. I still have concerns about the drivers being set right. This may be due to the motors or drivers being from china? I’ll keep reading the posts and either get these right or I make order some new motors and drivers from a more reputable source.

I built this using a mix of different design aspects from different builders. I have some ideas for future improvements.

Right now, my biggest problem is the ESTLcam software. I can’t seem to get a tool path that makes sense. I ran my first part using foam and the tool (DeWalt DW660) was all over the place. It appeared to be cutting a part much bigger (perhaps 4x) that my test part.

Could I ask a favor of any other helpful member, could anybody upload a tool path (.NC) file that I can load and try running. A small part, perhaps 100mm X 100mm. This will let me upload it into Repetier and see if I have anything else causing my problems. If someone could do this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

I still have a few more details to polish off for the completed built. Need to add in 2 more drag chains, clean up my power supply and wiring and get a nice box for the power supply and electronics.

I’ll post more pictures of the full build after I get this running.

Oops, file size was too large.

I finished getting the MPCNC built and operating. I still have concerns about the drivers being set right. This may be due to the motors or drivers being from china? I’ll keep reading the posts and either get these right or I make order some new motors and drivers from a more reputable source.

They are all from china. See this post from this morning, https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/stepper-driver-current-limit-parallel-stepper-motors/
Are you using my parts or did you source your own?
pololu vid here - https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/ramps-wiring/

I built this using a mix of different design aspects from different builders. I have some ideas for future improvements.

Best to try the build as recommended. Hard to make improvements before you have used it, or used it as the designer recommends.

Right now, my biggest problem is the ESTLcam software. I can’t seem to get a tool path that makes sense. I ran my first part using foam and the tool (DeWalt DW660) was all over the place. It appeared to be cutting a part much bigger (perhaps 4x) that my test part.

Tutorial - EstlCAM Setup - V1 Engineering Documentation

Could I ask a favor of any other helpful member, could anybody upload a tool path (.NC) file that I can load and try running. A small part, perhaps 100mm X 100mm. This will let me upload it into Repetier and see if I have anything else causing my problems. If someone could do this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Test file linked at the end of the previous tutorial.

I still have a few more details to polish off for the completed built. Need to add in 2 more drag chains, clean up my power supply and wiring and get a nice box for the power supply and electronics.

I’ll post more pictures of the full build after I get this running.

Looking good mate ?

How do you find the alternative designed corner blocks? Did you try the original ones first? I ask because I’m currently printing another batch of parts for a second smaller machine especially for alloy. It was either my prints or a bad quality reel of filament but my corner blocks and feet all cracked at the bolt holes before they got tight enough to clamp properly.

I had issues getting my head around estlcam too at first. But once you “get it” it will be smooth sailing. Remember to check units of measurement match the drawing when importing, and the right firmware settings are used in the setup screen. The guy who wrote estlcam was nice enough to create a setup specifically for the MPCNC.

Driver voltage will not affect how far the machine moves (# of steps) just the maximum stall torque of the motors. I found 0.8v to be the.sweet spot for my machine. Not too much heat generated by the drivers and no missed steps.

Good luck with completing the build. Keep us updated.

Cheers.
Justin.

The test file worked and more excitedly, so did the machine. the logo printed out to a size about 26" wide by 17" tall. Was that expected or did I do something that may have changed the scale? I only ask because your standard machine format is 24" by 24".

I appreciated your help with the file and ongoing advice. Seeing the machine work was very exciting. I’ll continue to add more details and do what I can to contribute to the forum in support of the efforts.

Richard

I do like the alternative block and i did not try the originals one first. When I decided to try to build the CNC, I searched around and found many different inputs. This one from Vicious made the most sense so I looked for as much input as I could. On the newer, alternative, corner block, I decided to give it a try because I liked the idea of being able to add in the limit switches and more importantly, have some adjustment for the GT2 belts. As it worked out, the limit switches are needed out a few inches from the corners so they were a wash. For the belt tensioners, they didn’t work from the downloaded files. I took some time and was able to fix them and made the a little better to allow for wing nuts to be used. This will allow me to add a 1/4 turn from time to time if the belts stretch any. For the corner blocks, I would think my strongest advise would be to use 5 perimeters in case you need to work with hardware. I would also strongly suggest that you fine the correct hardware before you print the block. If you use the downloaded files, you’ll need to find an M8X100 (i think it was M8, maybe M6) but either way, a unicorn in hardware unless your in the UK. I switched to an English thread and used a 1/4-20 X 4 inches long stainless bolt. This meant I needed to drill our a bit of the hole which made me happy that I had the extra perimeters.

Can you add a little more clarity to your comment “the right firmware settings are used in the setup screen”. I’m not using ESTLcam to drive my controller. I only use it to generate the needed tool path. My problem is experience. I"m not an engineer or a machinist but I have a strong desire to learn. Any other comments or suggestions will be graciously accepted.

For my drivers, my problem is that I don’t have data sheets for the Nema17 motors. I can assume that there are very similar to other Nema17’s but with different manufacturers building at different quality levels, the fact is that I may have cheap motors. This isn’t as huge a problem as my need to learn ESTLcam. I can get new motors in a day or two but may not have to. Vicious shared his test file (it was actually already in a forum post) that I tried. The machine ran like a champ.

I still want to do a little more clean up to finish the first revision. Finish the Power supply, add the drag chain and hopefully add in a vacuum system. then after I get stronger with the CAM work, I’ve already made a list of other ideas for improvements, but that’s me getting ahead of my self for now.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciated the chance to provide some feedback to the forum where others have already been helpful to me. :slight_smile:

Richard

Nice!

Yeah I’m not sure about the scale, as you see in the walk through I scale everything I cut. Just because you never know unless it is designed in CAD
Cool let me know if there are any other issues.