I used a 45-degree v-bit. I am not completely comfortable with sharp corners that require a 3D carving toolpath, so I modified the original pattern so it has rounded outside and inside corners. Then I used the purely 2D strategy with EstlCam that I described in detail in another thread: Vcarve Inlay help - #3 by jamiek
Something was not quite right and for some reason my test piece was showing a 1mm gap below the inlay, which I need more tests to fully understand. To reduce this, I widened the pocket by 0.33 mm with one more pass before de-energizing the steppers. Ideally I would be able to take measurements from test pieces first and not have to adapt on the fly, but I was doing the test piece and cutting the real parts at the same time.