Recently, I tried planing a 1’x2’ section of my (former) work surface in order to improve my cuts. Not long after, my wife pointed out that the hardboard dust was finding its way into the furnace, and stinking up the house. I’m not brave enough to argue with a pregnant lady, so I agreed not to plane the bed until I had a dust collection method sorted out.
I had wanted to be non-invasive to the parts I already had, so I thought I’d be clever and design a cover for the hole on the metal sheathe. I’m not sure if it’s got a name, but it’s the wide hole that exposes the collet-lock button.
I’m betting most of you have already figured out why that’s a dumb idea, but in case it’s not clear: when the router is actually down in the shaft to cut material, it blocks that hole almost entirely! I have no idea what I was thinking, but I made 5 revisions of it before realizing.
I did test my latest version on a handful of sawdust, and while I could feel a slight draft near the bit, it didn’t really pull up much dust. I’m hoping that it could pull in the dust as it flies off the bit, but I won’t know until I try :P.
Here’s the design: http://a360.co/2wXCqtc
- It's a few degrees too narrow still, so there's a slight gap on both edges
- The zip-tie holes are way too small for the 0.3mm resolution I printed, and for the zip ties. I just used them as stops so the ties didn't slide off.
- This is meant for a garden hose. The idea being you cut off one end of the hose, and it just pressure fits in. Then you can use the rest of the hose to run alongside your power cables, and adapt to a vacuum. This way you have a threaded quick connect without worrying about printer tolerance.