A predefined Cura profile to start from ?

My PC crushed yesterday, and I have to start from zero.

I was wondering if there is a good predefined printer profile I could use, like the Prusa I3 for example. Of course I have to adjust a couple of things.

Or is it possible to get to my previous settings from a g-code file I created, say last week?

IIRC, slic3r puts the setting in comments at the top. Cura might too. Just open the gcode in a text editor like wordpad.

Ryan has some basic settings in his guides, linked from his mk8 extruder, I think. I don’t use cura.

2 Likes

Thanks @ Jeffeb3,

Didn’t find much on the Cura g-code file regarding settings.

Installed Cura, and it stopped twice just after doing the brim. Thought there’s something else wrong, so used a older g-code file which just printed fine. Not much of enthusiasm to find the error, I’m now a convert to slic3r. Easy enough with Ryans guide to get it running quickly, of course a bit of a learning curve, but I like what I see so far.

I should have mentioned. Prusa-slicer is based on slic3r and has a lot of newer features.

I agree 100% with Jeffeb3. If you are switching from Cura and you need to learn a new slicer program you might as well use the one with the most features and active development work. They provide a number of tutorial videos to help learn the program and how to use it. There is a very active forum for the in-depth questions. Also it comes with a great library of presets for print settings and filament types.

https://www.prusa3d.com/prusaslicer/

1 Like

Yep, I never got along too well with Cura, I never really could zoom into a object too close without it was moving out of the screen. That was a thing I really hated, might have been that I missed a setting, but it was the same with the MP3DP and the Ender3.

I have no idea why I came to Cura, I got my first printer in December 2018 (Ender 3), probably recommended by some guys on the Ender forums??? Well they had the Ender3 config ready to use, even a dumb like me could jump into 3D-printing with no knowledge.

I refused to update, but when the PC crushed, the new version 4.?? looked like something I never saw b4.

Just one thing to be sure, it looks to me that slic3r is not installed on your system, it looks much like a portable version to me. Is that normal? or did I something wrong?

Did you ever get your cura settings solved for the MP3DP? In case you still need one, here you go.

Here is the start and end code. Remove G29 code from start if you don’t have auto bed leveling.

start
G21 ; set units to millimeters
G90 ; use absolute positioning
M82 ; absolute extrusion mode
M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; set extruder temp
M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; set bed temp
M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for bed temp
M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for extruder temp
G28 W ; home all without mesh bed level
G29 ; ABL
G92 E0.0 ; reset extruder distance position
G1 Z2.0 F3000 ;Move Z Axis up
G1 X10.1 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position
G1 X10.1 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line
G1 X10.4 Y200.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little
G1 X10.4 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ;Draw the second line
G92 E0.0 ; reset extruder distance position

end
M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
M140 S0 ; turn off heatbed
M107 ; turn off fan
G1 X0 Y210; home X axis and push Y forward
M84 ; disable motors

pla_i3.zip (493 Bytes)

1 Like

So the Profile you posted would be optimum for the Ender 3 to print the needed part for this build?