A So-Cal 4x4 Build

Well, heres photos of my operational but still needs a few things build.

I will say, the EPO switch is something that I should have done from the start.

Ive cut new y plates from wood that are 1 in longer, to accommodate the thicker table.
Printing new ziptie-less Y Belt Tensioners.

And learning some of the quirks of Fusion with this machine. Its definitely less forgiving of some settings.

7 Likes

Did you cut your own aluminum plates?

Yep, I have access to a CNC router at a school that I mentor Robotics at. Cut em from 1/8th aluminum.

2 Likes

Nice! I wanna attempt it on the LR2, but not even sure where to start.

Honestly I was in a rush, had 8 hours before the school shut down due to Covid, and I rushed in to cut them. I did a quick stress analysis on the part comparing 1/2 wood and 1/8 Aluminum. Looked like it’d work and I just cut em. Doing the math by hand and with some other folks here 1/4 would have been a better thickness.

I assumed a few things from looking at people’s table designs, and ended up making my table a bit too thick. So right now, my table is kind of a hack. I’ll replace the aluminum 1/8ths either with aluminum or wood, because I’ll need em longer.

How about just using a router to cut a rabbet in the lower edge of the 2x’s to clear the lower Z tube supports?

Feel free to mentor me… virtually…

2 Likes

Nice robot madgrixxle!
Team 4160’s robot makes the motor stall sound when it’s low on battery:

As for virtual mentoring:

1. Be Excellent to Each other.
  2. Learn from everything and everyone. You are never too smart to learn something new, always be open to the possibility that someone else might have something to teach you.
  3. Instead of “I’m Sorry” tell me how it’ll be different next time.
  4. Leave before the Police arrive.

That’s pretty much the 4 things I try to teach the kids :slight_smile:
and they are universal life lessons.

6 Likes

i hope you tell them that this does not apply to car accidents XD