On a sad note, back in May, my fishing/flying/golfing buddy passed away suddenly. He was the second of my two best friends lost in the last 11 months. Thankfully, neither of these men experienced prolonged suffering and were actively engaging in the things they enjoyed most up until the time of their passing. We’d all spent many great times together and they are both sorely missed.
On a brighter note… back when we were actively building and flying our foam RC planes, I’d built Henry a MPCNC-based needle cutter setup… and, with his passing, the family has given that machine back to me. Since I already had a needle cutter setup of my own, I decided to scrap out his machine and rebuild/update it in a smaller form factor and suitable for light milling operations. i’d already purchased a Dewalt 660, way back when, for this very purpose.
I spent several days printing all the new parts on my Prusa I3 MK2S and have begun assembling a 29" x 29" footprint machine. I’ve put it on a 30" x 30" wooden base… 1" x 4" whitewood boards, Kreg-jigged together, in two layers and with overlapping corners. The machine is essentially complete, mechanically, and now needs to be belted and wired up. I could reuse the old motors, of course, but I’ve decided to wait on new steppers, with longer leads/connectors, and a series wiring harness from Ryan… just to try and do it up to current standards. Those parts are due to arrive Wednesday… thanks, Ryan, for the prompt shipping!
The following photos document my progress to this point – printing new parts, dismantling the old machine, and building up the new…
More to come later…