Absolute beginner

Hi All~

I have no experience with CNC, or 3d Printing and am looking to put together MPCNC as a way to dip my toe into this world.

I am however having a hard time getting started.  I have looked at the "Bundle" links on the website which claims to be all inclusive, but doesn't appear to include spindle or printed parts.  There is a link to the printed parts, but that leads to a page with a variety of size options.  Having never done this before, my fear is purchasing redundant or incompatible parts.

When I look at the lowrider specifications, there is a parts list that seems a little more inclusive and idiot-proof (which is completely appropriate for my experience/knowledge level).

I guess my question: is there a one-click beginners bundle that someone has put together already that I'm just not finding? I don't mind purchasing all these items separately from different sources, I just want to make sure that I don't spend more time learning how to purchase a tool than actually using it.

If I get a complete working kit, gain some understanding of what's involved, and then decide that I need to customize or upgrade, that's fine.  

If anyone can point this particular dummy in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

Welcome @mjohnston to the forum. We do need to provide a buyer’s guide to assist in a step by step process that details the different options and decisions you need to make.

The first step that you need to take for a lowrider or mpcnc is to source your conduit/tubing. There are several possibilities.

For the lowrider you need to get stainless tubing, usually 1" outside diameter in the US. That translates to 25.4 mm. The corresponding printed parts are the J parts. In other places in the world, you can get 25mm stainless. These are the F parts. This is why there are two sizes of printed parts.

These two options are valid for an MPCNC, but there is an additional third option which is using 3/4" outside diameter EMT tubing. that is 23.5 mm OD and correspond to the C parts.

I hope this can get you started over the hump. It is absolutely essential that you identify the correct conduit size that you can obtain. Only then can you purchase or print the correct 3D printed parts.

You can’t buy the conduit/tubing in the shop. It is something you need to get on your own. Everything else except the spindle you can get in the shop. Well, other than the table and spoilboards.

Marion~

Thank you!  That actually is an extremely helpful first step.

If you know, I am also wondering.  The DeWalt 660 is listed for the MPCNC, and 611 for Lowrider.  Are these interchangeable between the two?

You can use the 660 on the lowrider, but better not the 611 on the MPCNC. The 611 is a bit heavier and the lowrider mount and gantry can take it. The standard mounts are 660 for MPCNC and 611 for lowrider.

Thank you again, though I am still a little confused. The parts list for the lowrider on the website lists the DWP611 (and the Amazon link points to that model as well), and there is no mention of a 661?

Either way, seeing as how I am planning to build a MPCNC, sounds like the 660 is my option?

Also, the Amazon links for the conduit also point to SS304L tubing, but the OD options are 1/4", 3/8", and 1.5". Just FYI.

Whoops. My facility with numbers is a constant issue.
I’ll fix it in an edit.

Which links were you using? Trying to find them on the V1 site.

Are you in the US? The electric conduit is the stuff to get for an MPCNC in terms of easily sourced at the hardware store and cheap. Stainless is more rigid and it looks awesome, but is a cost upgrade.

There are a few topics that discuss different online sources for conduit. If you are near a big city, some metal supply stores are available that have big selections. Also, if you have a local welding shop near by, just go and talk to them. They’d hook you up with a supplier, either local to save shipping or a good sources.

That’s not a worry, we have an awesome metal and hardware supplier here in town. My understanding is the EMT is a little lacking in the rigidity department?

Apparently I’m not allowed to share a link at my level, but if on the home page, you follow: “More Info>Lowrider CNC>Parts” you should see the links in quesetion.

1 Like

Lol, “question”, that is.

1 Like

Keep posting you’ll get the goodies soon enough.

That is a strange size in the link.

1" OD, .065" wall thickness is what is usual for stainless in the US.

The EMT is pretty rigid for a normal build. Keep the work area in 24"x24" and rigidity of tubing isn’t an issue, according to everything I’ve read here. It’s what was the original design.

It’s fascinating how the parts balance out. Say you get very rigid tubing and you aren’t worrying about flex. So you think you can do a better job on milling aluminum. Well, then you have to think about speeds and feeds for the spindle, the mill and the cutting loads. Turns out that having a rigid tube might not enter in the equation at all because you’ll run up against other constraints before deflecting the tube.

And that might be how I justify sticking with EMT, but I do believe it is something to be considered. In the end, an upgrade to 1" stainless for the MPCNC doesn’t have a downside that I can see, other than cost and availability.

Stainless for the lowrider is a different thing because you definitely will start dealing with sagging rails over long distances if you build bigger.

Try this.

The stainless options are interesting because some are meant for carrying things as tubing and some are meant for construction. I’ve seen some nice stuff for marine applications for railing. Differences with welded or seamless. Polished or not. It’s all over the place.

I have not seen a mount for the 660 on the low rider. The 611 comes with a normal flat router plate, which gets replaced by the gantry plate. The 660 is meant for handheld use, and doesn’t have a nice plate to mount it.

2 Likes

I have seen some mounts for the makita. I know the 611 heavy, but since using it on the lowrider, I really like it and would totally consider it on a small rigid mpcnc.