Accidently printed Burly parts instead of Primo

So i made the foolish mistake of realizing i had printed the Burly parts instead of the Primo parts; on thingiverse the Burly parts come up higher ranking in search results. 2kg+ and 2 weeks of printing later and I’m left with a box full of PLA chunks lol.

Does anyone know if there is still any use for these parts? Cant even buy the Burly kit in the v1 store anymore…I was thinking of finishing assembly and making it into a laser engraver. But if i can dual-attach a laser engraver and CNC to the Primo i would rather use it for dual purpose to save space. If it is a process to swap out the CNC and attach laser engraver each time, i would then build both. Is it worth it to use these parts? Is printing a second set of Primo parts and building a second machine for laser engraving better off? Does anyone want to buy these parts i printed for dirt cheap otherwise?

Appreciate the advice!

For laser engraving, I think the burly would be more than what you’d need.

If we’re pulling hairs, the Primo just makes squaring the gantry a bit easier, it’s a bit more rigid, and the belts are easier to tension, etc. Considering laser engraving doesn’t really need a “more” rigid machine and you’ll probably be using dual endstops for anything with a laser… I’d say you should just use the parts you’ve printed for now and upgrade to the primo later (if ever).

1 Like

Ha, I did the same thing, but luckily I caught it after printing only a few parts :slight_smile: I wasn’t clear going in that Burly and Primo were different versions of MPCNC, and which was newer. One of the pages I was looking at had a link to the parts, so I followed it and started printing… but that was for Burly and not Primo.

Same thing happened to me! Once i did my research on v1 web site, i went to thingiverse and typed in MPCNC. The first 23.5 result that came up was for the Burly, and after printing literally every part except for the last 2 in the list, I came to the realization and derped out lol.

Luckily according to a previous reply by [HighProbability], I will probably build a second CNC with just a laser attachment for engraving wood/metal.

The question that gets me now, is if i were to buy another primo kit, will that be compatible with the burly parts i printed?

Nuts and bolts are different, belt is wider for primo, pulleys match the belt.

Thanks Tony, that’s what gets me. Is it worth me buying all the Burly parts for this reason? WHERE would I be able to obtain these parts since they are not available in the store section? Do I have to purchase all of them manually from various 3rd party sites?

This is what’s making me debate if i should just ditch the Burly parts and start fresh… Could technically say I take a loss with the $50 in PLA + electricity and time printing… any suggestions?

I’m not sure where you are located, but all the parts should be readily available. If you really have any interest in making a diode laser, the burly is overkill, but I’m doing it too because I have all the motors and stuff.
The burly is still quite capable. I made a really small one (that I’m taking apart for the laser) to cut aluminum and steel plate. So that’s an option later.
If I were to rank my options I’d say :

1. laser diode as a second machine. get the hardware, belts and pulleys, whatever is cheap (some belt kits come with 20t pulleys, that’s fine for the laser) and some cheap nema 17s (don’t have to be strong…lightweight 3d printer parts are fine. Uno and cnc shield (grbl) or mega + ramps (marlin or grbl5x)

2. donate to somebody who wants to build one but doesn’t have a printer or enough cash to buy printed parts AND all the hardware /electronics.

3. try posting them in the “for sale” section. Still some people with burlys who might want spare parts

4. throw them in a box for some project to be determined in the future

5. build the burley instead of the primo. Least good option to me. Just plastic and time separates you from the primo here.

1 Like

Has anyone made a list of parts that are cross compatible? If any are?

I ask as it would seem that it might be nice for someone to know if say the feet work on both, or if say another part worked.

In my case, I almost printed the Burley but then caught it that the Primo was the latest version. So just a thought from someone new who almost printed the older parts.

I don’t know if is a definitive list, but I know that Burly users have upgraded to Primo feet and have used the Primo core. Ryan mentions that some of the benefits of the new core are lost when using Burly trucks and a Primo core. The Z axis is also interchangeable as noted in this topic, and towards the bottom of the topic, one user was using the Burly Z axis on a Primo. The mounting plate is also interchangeable, though it usually a Primo user using the Burly mounting plate so that Burly spindle/router/laser mounts can be used on the Primo

1 Like