Acrylic Flat Parts

I searched and didn’t find anything, so thought I would ask:

Has anyone had any success using acrylic for the flat parts? I have some 1/4" acrylic that I’m not using and thought it might be an option. I understand that I would possibly need to glue multiple sheets together for the Y-plates, but wanted to check before going to town with the jigsaw.

I’ve not had great fun with acrylic personally as I find it so easy to crack but I will be curious to see how you make out.

I was lucky enough to get my plates done in lexan, 1/2" thick, and they’ve been excellent for me.

4 Likes

I have a chunk of some clear 1/2" plastic I want to use for the 611 plate on my LR. I just haven’t actually bothered with it yet. I am hoping to be able to see a little better, but there is a bunch of stuff on the top, so who knows? I bought it from a scrap sale at a local plastics place (colorado plastics).

Sorry, I haven’t actually tried it yet.

Much of my 3D printer is acrylic. I have friends with a good laser cutter.

Acrylic is is kind of wobbly though. You can get around that with different design, but I don’t know that I’d want to substitute it in this case. Might still be good enough, but when we’re picking at the difference in flex between PLA and PETg, it seems a shame to introduce something that flexible.

That looks super cool!

Someone here on the forums sell them.

If that was a question? No I found a local cnc guy who helped me out from his industrial setup. They generate a ton of lexan off cuts from their work making custom safety glass for heavy equipment. I scored this all free from their waste and some beer for his time. Lexan isn’t cheap.

1 Like

Wow, that Lexan is really great. I hate to ask how much that must have cost. I seem to recall Lexan being pretty spendy.