Adapting Middle Assembly for Square Tubing

Hey guys, I’m looking to start a build here pretty quick but I’m going to be taking it big (or attempting it anyways for fun). * 9’ x 5’

I’ve dug around on the forum a tad bit and haven’t seen anyone who has adapted the mpcnc for use with square tubing (if it has been done, I’ve over looked it).

Before I really start working with my CAD and start redesigning parts for the tubing, I thought I would post up and see if anyone has crossed this bridge yet and if so, comments - files - photos?

Thanks,

Zach

Hi

Before finding vicious1, I looked into using square section but you would have to use it on the diamond instead of the flat for running bearings.

To be honest I don’t really think there is any advantage to using square over circle tubing in this case, to make a system that big either the low rider from vicious or a fully supported gantry using aluminium extrusion but then costs go considerably up.

Is there a specific reason you want to go with square as it will require a redesign of every part.

I’ve seen Ryan say that the reason he didn’t use square is that you need 4 bearings, which adds 33% to the cost, and the weight, and the complications, etc.

At that size, the low rider really hits it’s stride. I built a 24x36 MPCNC, then made an MP3DP, then a low rider. The MPCNC just really won’t be fun at that size.

1 Like

So I have to admit, I haven’t given the low rider a lot of consideration to this point. Honestly, I haven’t looked into it a whole lot.

I came across the mpcnc on Thingiverse (just looking for a project to start and work on through the cold months in the garage).

I though a router cnc would be fun and this design seems to be great and also had tons of options when it come to router to plasma… but I always like to tweak things for a challenge (I’m doing this for fun after all and I’m not afraid of crashing and burning every now and then haha).

In the end though I do want something that is usable and fits needs or wants and after the low rider comment above, I really started reading and looking it over. I do think it would be a better fit for any potential needs I might come up with later… hmm wonder if I could rig it for the plasma sometime?

Size-wise I really just picked the 5’x9’ so that I could easily fit a full sheet of 4’x8’ plywood or whatever on it. I still would like to keep that size in mind and the low rider does look to be the more stable option when it comes to those dimensions.

Welcome. That tweaking, experimental, fun attitude will fit in well here. There are plenty of tweaks you could do. The low rider has fewer users, and it’s newer so there’s plenty of opportunities for experimentation.

1 Like

I’ll be the 1st to admit that I don’t know everything haha but I’m sure willing to always learn. Mistakes just happen to be part of learning, specially when you are really tweaking and tryin to push limits of things.

I’m glad I’ve found this little forum that looks to have a pretty solid following.

I have sat on it (a few hours) and will start printing up the low rider parts in the morning.

I have to admit that the new-ness of the low rider excites me a little. I already have a few tweaks in mind for the lr. - I will definitely post up the build on the other part of the forum and maybe live feed some of the build throughout the process.

Please, just try it my way first. There are tons of people making parts to fix things that actually don’t need to to be fixed. I know sometimes you look at something and think “no way” but try it out and then see if it needs something.

Making different parts or mods is awesome for any reason but be very sparing with the words “improved, better, or new”.

Please, just try it my way first. — That’s no fun. I’m capable of following directions (if that’s the type of fun project I was after, I would be at Ikea with my Wife).

There are tons of people making parts to fix things that actually don’t need to to be fixed. — Who cares? I bet that most have fun doing it though…

I know sometimes you look at something and think “no way” but try it out and then see if it needs something. — I never said that your end result wouldn’t work, so please don’t put words in my mouth.

Making different parts or mods is awesome for any reason but be very sparing with the words “improved, better, or new”. — This statement seems a bit contradicting. Surely you don’t really mean that your current end result can’t be “improved” upon and made “better” with “new” parts/designs at all or by anyone other than you…

I’m going to just pretend that your 1st post to me on this forum reads something like…

Hey Zach, welcome to the Vicious1 Forum and thanks for checking out the MPCNC on Thingiverse! I see that you’re just looking for a fun project to mess around with over the Winter months coming and you should find that either the MPCNC or LowRider CNC should fit the bill for having fun.

The square tubing idea has been brought up in the past but I personally have not found it to be an improvement over the current design but I welcome any new improvements to the design that potentially make it better for the end user’s needs/wants. Seeing both the MPCNC and LR progress with community support is exciting, however; I also have some revisions coming out in the near future also.

Welcome aboard, can’t want to see what you do!

Yes, Yes… I think I’ll stick with my pretend version of your first comment to me. bahaha