Adjust cncjs travel speed

Hello everyone I am trying to adjust the travel speed of my lowrider 2200x3000.

Now I have been trying something in the terminal of cncjs and for me it is still complicated. I still have a lot to learn.

what I don’t understand now, that I have reinstalled my mini rambo firmware but cncjs stick to what I have adjusted in the cncjs terminal.

For example, if I give the command myself (G1 f4000 Y0) Drive’s the lowrider over the table at a nice speed. I would like him to do this as standard with this speed travel.

I also try to calibrate the z. but when I enter the new value there, the motor starts to produce a painful noise and does not move. I specify that z + 10mm and he does 2.3mm.

Someone wants to help me I can’t figure it out myself.

Thank

From my understanding is that if you don’t specify a speed rate that marlin will try to move at the last given speed rate. This goes for all the movement commands G0, G1, G2 or G3. So if you tell marlin to move the z axis without specifying a feed rate, and right after just having moved the x or y at F4000, it would try to move the z at F4000. I’m guessing that’s your z problem.

1 Like

Hi

I have installed the firmware again. so that I have a clean start. because I have changed a lot without knowing exactly what I am doing.
But now there is a difference in the firmware that I have installed and what I see in cncjs.
(See pictures)

I found the firmware’s max Z feedrate to be faster than the machine can handle causing skipping when I jogged in cnc.js

After I reduced Max Z feedrate and acceleration in the firmware it jogged ok. I think you can also temporarily change max feedrate with M203 Z20 where 20 is whatever you want the max feedrate to be.

1 Like

Maybe someone can explain to me what DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE and DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION is and what it does exactly.
I can’t find it clear anywhere so I understand.

Im not sure if this is my problem, but when i first use cncjs and I try to raise the zaxis, it stutters and doesn’t go up. When I move with the smart controller, it’s no problem. When I move in cncjs using a manual gcode command with a feedrate of 30, it moves fine. When I jog up in cncjs AFTER the manual gcode move, it moves fine.

The problem is that the controller is reporting a zaxis 30mm/s max feedrate right at the start… so is it ignored or am I misinterpreting what’s beingnreported? Once I send a zaxis move with F30, it then starts using it and cncjs is fine with jogs.

So discovered that the units being reported in cncjs are mm/s, whereas the gcode speed is mm/min. Now it makes sense.

I bought the mini Rambo from @vicious1 with firmware preinstalled. If I want to lower the max feed rates (so I don’t have to set them every time I start with cnc.js), do I need to rebuild and upload the firmware or can the values be updated and saved to eeprom and reloaded on start?

I would hope there are some travel speed adjusts in that software and it doesn’t just use firmware max.
But yes the max is too fast. I am working on that right now. The speeds and accelerations are getting tested.

2 Likes

You can change it without flashing:
M203 Z300 would set it to 5mm/s. That will be the system max, and any command that exceeds that will be throttled.

More detail:

That will only change it in memory, not permanently. If you have EEPROM enabled (which most do, but some versions of the firmware didn’t), you can make it permanent by sending M500. At any time, to reload the firmware defaults, you can send M502, but it will blow away any settings you’ve changed.

It was made for grbl, and in grbl, G0 always uses the max feedrate. It is meant for travel moves, so it should be able to do it’s max speed.

That said, it may still be an option, and if not, we could ask them to add it.

1 Like

I have a mini Rambo from Ryan and it appears eeprom is disabled. I assume the mini Rambo doesn’t have eeprom?

As I understand it, Marlin is in mm/s… I’ve used M203 X30 Y30 Z15 and it seems to run fine but I haven’t put it through extensive testing

It does, it just needs to be flashed with firmware that enabled it. Ryan accidentally turned it off for a few versions of the firmware.

You can run that M203 command every time you connect, and it will stay that way until you reset. Then when Ryan gets a new stable firmware, flash it to that. Do you have a v1pi attached or just cnc.js on a laptop?

2 Likes

K… I’m using your v1pi. Wish I could find good instructions for cncjs… lots of buttons that don’t seem to do what I expect them to do :slight_smile:

You can definitely rebuild the newest stable firmware, and flash it. That would have EEPROM enabled and you can change that setting. Or you can wait until another stable version comes out.

Anttix has been working on configuring github to automatically build our Marlin configurations. When that is finished, we would have a .hex made by githin, and you could install avrdude on the pi, and an octoprint plugin, and flash the board with the .hex over the web ui… But there are several pieces there that need to get in place before that will work.

Thanks for the help. I’ll see if it becomes a nuisance but right now, its not hard to enter that line when I restart and might wait until the newest FW is released.

2 Likes

I have a solid rambo FW up I think, I will work on the mini and archim next.

1 Like

So if I’m understanding correctly, even if let’s say a “G0 Z6.00 F3000” command is sent but I have just sent the “M203 Z300” command at the beginning of the file that the rapid speed will not exceed my 5mm/sec? This will make my life much easier using aspire.

That is what it is supposed to do, yes. Older versions of Marlin puked if you went over speed, but recent versions have fixed it.

I have the mini mini rambo from V1 and it says V1 E CNC Ready, is this the newer version?