Adjustment design ideas

I want to design an adjustment device that uses a threaded bolt to move things back and forth. I have seen things like this before, but don’t know what their called and google isn’t understanding what I want. How do you keep the bolt in place at the end but still allow it to spin so you can move the center back and forth?

Here is a sketch to hopefully clarify what I mean.

Try this page.

That lets you pinch the bolt, and mount it to any direction of surface.

That works. I had not thought of using a set screw bearing to hold the bolt.

Thank you!

1 Like

There are a few ways do accomplish this.

The easiest is to put locknuts on the bolt on both sides of the carriage. The locknuts don’t move, so the bolt turns in the bearings.

If you have access to a lathe, you can machine a piece off of the end of the bolt, and then have that captured in the one bearing.

Fix a motor or crank assembly in place, and attach the bolt to that. That’s similar to how the Z axis works on my 3018 machine, with a threaded rod coupled to a fixed mount motor.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Do you have a link or a picture showing the crank assembly? The crank sounds like a good idea.

Shaft- or stop-collars are another option to keep the threaded shaft in place.

Thank you for that idea. I wanted something that would have more rigidity than a shaft collar. I was considering a spring on one side to keep it from moving back and forth.

How about a milling vise? This ones $35 on Amazon. It should at least have the parts you need.

I think I bought that one for quite a bit less either on Wish or Aliexpress. Haven’t yet found a good use for it, but I’m ever hopeful. :slight_smile: