Adventure with z probe and tool change

So I’ve got my first cuts done with fusion 360 thank you everyone for the help. Naturally now I want to cut something using two different end mills. So I have a few questions about tool changes. I know fusion supports them but I would assume at the minimum I would need to Home the z axis. Do I need to also home x and y?

Can I use this z probe? And do I hook it up to the z end stop? Min or max ?

I’m using the Archim board from the store. I have dual end stops but never wired or used them. Thank you

If you leave the motors energized then you won’t need to home X and Y. The new bit will be concentric with the old bit after your change it. That probe you linked looks like it would work. You would hook it to Z min in a normally-open configuration. You can check with M119, try touching and not touching and confirm it says TRIGGERED only when touching.

You do not need to use the dual end stops.

1 Like

To see what it looks like I have it laid out here. https://www.v1engineering.com/milling-basics/

I agree you should start without them though and just swap and probe Z. It is both simple and complicated, in reality it just introduces a point of possible human error.

That fancy probe will work but for what ever reason I do not trust tall blocks. I use an alligator clip and metal tape.

3 Likes

Thank you both for the advice.

I bought the one linked above and got it yesterday. looking at the ends I would have to cut and put on the connector needed to plug in to the archim board. I like ryans idea way better of just using some metal tape if I have to make my own connections already. So returning that and trying the metal tape today.

So one wire to Endmills and the other to the tape. Now on the archim there is three pins for each endstop does matter which pins I use for both wire.

Link to board wiki

EDIT: I just realized some of this is answered here I just need to know on the archim board out of the three pins which is signal, positive and negative.

EDIT EDIT: After looking at the Schematic I think I figured it out but would like a thumbs up because I don’t trust my self. Ive added a picture of the Schematic part I referenced and add what I think each pins is.

[attachment file=“118050”]
[attachment file=“118051”]

1 Like

Use pins 1 and 2, don’t touch 3 unless you like smoke.

1 Like

Note that the connectors are reversed on the MAX end stops, so pin 1 is on the other side.

3 Likes

@vicious1 Hi Ryan in milling basics is written:

Blockquote
G90 ; Absolute positioning, just in case
G92 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Set Current position to 0, all axes
G00 Z5.0000 F500 ; Raise Z 5mm at 8.3mm/s to clear clamps and screws
G28 X Y Z ; Home in order, w/zprobe
G92 Z0.15 ; Account for probe thickness (set your thickness)
G00 Z5.0000 F500 ; Raise Z probe off off of surface

I am using your firmware: Marlin-MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop
I can not find these lines on it, where in _configuration.h should I insert all of this?

That’s gcode, not firmware code.

1 Like

Understood, I have to copy everytime all this code to repetier and after run the G-Code. Am I correct?

You should read it, and understand what it says. You may not want or need all of it.

1 Like

Yes Thank you, I noticed some things I don’t need indeed.

Nope, you can add it to the start, end, or tool change section of CAM (estlcam of fusion). It will add it for you where it is needed.