Advice before build my first mpcnc

Hi everyone, in May I bought the bundle kit for the mpcnc. I have to understand if I can make the PRIMO version directly with an upgrade by printing the new pieces.
My idea is to make the MPCNC with a working area of 1300mm x 1300mm. As tubulars I would use 3mm thick stainless steel. Mainly I would like to work
wood and aluminum (aluminum perhaps with a smaller plate format). As a router I have both a Makita and a Dewalt.

Having said that, in your experience, would I have some problems working with this workspace, or can I go quiet?

Thanks so much for your support

I have to understand if I can make the PRIMO version directly with an upgrade by printing the new pieces.

The upgrade to Primo requires around $75 USD of different parts compared to the Burly kit. The easiest way to see the difference is to take a look at the parts in Ryan’s upgrade kit.

working area of 1300mm x 1300mm.

This is a very large MPCNC. Ryan recommends looking at the LowRider for a machine for a working area over 900mm on a side. You will have a machine footprint of nearly 1700mm. A the very least, you will need mid-span supports for your outer tubing.

As tubulars I would use 3mm thick stainless steel.

This is right at the max wall thickness that Ryan recommends for the MPCNC. You may need that thickness for the large spans of your machine, but you will also be adding mass. This will impact your acceleration which will likely mean cutting slower, and/or having more deflection. Note after Ryan ran some tests, he now recommends DOM tubing as the “best” choice. It is stiffer that stainless steel and sometimes cheaper, but it does rust and therefore must be waxed or other wise protected.

Thanks @robertbu for support.

About working Area, i understand for this working area size the best solution is Lowrider2. By your advice the mpcnc with 800mm working area each side are good or i need support midsize the side?

Ok for tubing and upgrade, thanks for this :slight_smile:

I believe I read somewhere that Ryan recommends mid-span supports for any side greater than 900mm. My Primo is 800mm x 660mm, and I do not have a mid-span supports. I’m also using thinner wall tubing…065" (about1.7mm). I had a similar sized Burly and had mid-span supports on the longer sides. I found them easy to 3D print and install, but they got in the way in the couple of times I wanted to use stock greater than my build area. I wonder if mixed wall thicknesses would be a better choice for an 800x800 machine…say 3mm for the outer rails and the legs with something thinner for the z axis and possibly the cross pieces. This would reduce the mass being moved around.

I think you will have a though time with aluminum at those sizes. I think you need to pick either the size of the aluminum. If you pick the size, then go with the low rider. If you want both, maybe make one smaller mpcnc and then save up to also build the LR.

1 Like

Thanks all, my suggest i create PRIMO 600x600mm and LOWRIDER 1300x1300.

Thanks all for advice
Simone

2 Likes