Advice for a new build in Oz

Hi All, I have been lurking the forums for a month or so now and very excited to have pulled the plug once I saw lowrider2 kits back in stock.

Couple of questions if someone could please provide some advice.

• Will it be ok to cut the Y plates in 12mm as we don’t have a 12.7mm (the default size) board here easily available.
  • Will it be ok to cut the router plate in 6mm (slightly under the default again) in Aluminium?
  • I will be using the Makita rt0700C router and my understanding is that the default plate will not work so was thinking of cutting the router plate and printing some parts using this remix: thing:3257573 Just wondering if this works with the default plate by any chance?

Thanks

1 Like

Welcome! Congratulations on succumbing to temptation! :japanese_ogre:

Yes, you should be able to get away with slightly thinner Y plates. If you find they cause problems, you can remake them later (many people remake all the flat parts as one of their first projects with their Low Rider, since they now have a CNC that will give them better precision than cutting them by hand).
If you have access to the ability to cut your plate from 6mm Alu, you should be good. But if you’re using an RT0700C, I’d use the plate design from the TV remix rather than the 611 plate.

All this is somewhat conjecture and secondhand hearsay, as I don’t even have a functional MPCNC, yet. But a more knowledgeable person will be along shortly who can answer your questions with more authority (or at least, more confidence).

Again, welcome to the funhouse!

1 Like

Great thanks. Yes will be going with the TV plate remix for the Makita. Challenge I don’t know if he did it for 25.4mm OD rods or 25mm ones or does that only matter on the Y plates?

And yes very excited and just trying to get things right. I read somewhere Ryan mentioning that slightly thinner plates is OK but don’t go thicker ideally but I could be wrong.

Mmmm… Going to have to wait for someone more familiar with the LR. I think the router plate doesn’t care about the rail diameter (it’s the printed parts that really interface with the rails), but I could be terribly wrong. Does Ryan publish different 611 plates for the different rail sizes?

On TV there are 2 sets of files, the 25mm OD and the 25.4mm OD and they both have the 611_platev2 file. I am not sure if they are the same as they could be.

I do know that in the shop the flatpart sets has the option of 25mm or 25.4mm so the Y plates atleast def do care about the OD size.

Yea thought so, thanks for confirming.

Now another question ha! do you guys think that using a Chrome Tube made of steel similar thickness pretty much as what Ryan recommends, would stand the stress for a large build?

I know stainless won’t rust but this is a dry environment. I have seen builds here done using this but they weren’t really full sheet size type of builds but I doubt there should be any trouble? It is still steel and the chrome finish is quite smooth for the bearings but someone with some experience can probably chime in best.

Maybe Ryan can shed some light on this. @vicious1

I don’t know if the 611 plates are intechangeable. I would just download them and compare them.

The bearings are pretty hard, and I think they will remove the chrome coating. Regular steel DOM (I use these terms, but I have no idea what they mean) works fine.

The plate thickness is likely mostly for the kit hardware, too thick and the bolts may not thread. Aluminum in similar thickness should be fine for strength at 6mm. Good luck with the build, these things are great fun and handy.

1 Like

The 611 plate is identical in both the flat part sizes from the shop!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for chiming in and your advice.

I have seen some people use 6mm Aluminum for Y plates as well but saw Ryan replies too stating there is no real benefit and MDF seems to be the way to go.

I have access to get the Y plates in aluminum for $80 more so keen to know if that would be better way to go or should I not bother?

It sounds like you’re into the world of what to you like best? As opposed to one is better than the other. Aluminum plates would look super cool, but $80 also buys a lot of beer :beers:.