Advice on mm 611 plate thickness

Hi, I have to change my 611 plate because I broke my old cheap router. Now I have the Makita RT0700 that have different holes for the base screws.

The old one was made of 15mm plywood but it is definitely too much, i am loosing precious millimeters. So I wish to made the new one thinner.

I cannot find 1/4’’ baltic birch plywood in the local shop and I live in a metric nation.

Do someone has experience with 5mm thick plate?
Better go straight to the 10mm?

Thanks, Umberto :slight_smile:

There is are a couple of plate designs that matches the Makita RT0700 Router. As for the thickness 15mm is too much IMHO. I had mine cut from 1/4" Aluminum. Its solid and durable.

1 Like

Yes, I am using the one from here.

Really cool the aluminium… I wish to try it…

PS but not so easy without a cnc :frowning:

Most of the bb is metric anyways, if you can find some in the 6.36mm thickness it should be fine. I had mine made from lexan, so maybe some plastics are available?

It’s only a very small piece so maybe you can have someone on here that’s nearby ship one to you even. If I was closer I’d offer.

I had a local CNC shop cut my 2Y Plates out of 1/2" Aluminum and the router plate out of 1/4" Cost me 90.00 for all including the aluminum.

5mm should be fine.

Even in the states the baltic birch ply is actually metric dimensions. 3mm, 6mm, 9mm 12mm, and 18mm seems to be readily available here. I think I’ve seen 15mm to.

I used 6mm for my plate, and I’ve had no issues.

I definitely didn’t know that also in the states the bb thickness was measured in mm. I will give a try to the 5mm.

i’ll let you know :smiley:

As the “Baltic” in the name implies it is imported from the Baltic region (mostly Finland and Russia, I think), so probably produced to a metric dimension.

In the States it is often advertised in imperial dimensions (1/4", 1/2") etc. but all the Baltic Birch I have used measured very close to 6, 12 or 18mm. Mostly within 0.1mm.

I think also here 0.1 mm is the standard “error” for the the plywood.

About my Lowrider:
I found a scrap of sheet of metal in the backyard. It is 2 mm thick. I was able to cut it with a small grinder using a jig I 3D printed.
Basically I gained 13 mm from the old 15 mm plywood.
Just did some v-carve and it seems really cool. Finally I can push the Lowrider down and let it sit on the gantries :stuck_out_tongue:

I will do some other test by I hope it will last.

If it will be too soft, but actually I don’t think so, I will add a 5 mm plywood between it and the LR2 XMOUNTs.

2 Likes