Alternative to Thingiverse?

Why - is - thingiverse - so - slooooow?

That site is so annoyingly slow and unstable! Have you thought about alternatives, @vicious1?

1 Like

Lol. I was just asking a friend if he was having the same experience with Thingiverse. They had a notice of slow performance during an upgrade or something like that a week or two ago, but that notice is now gone and it’s slower than ever. Very frustrating.

1 Like

Yup it is borderline unusable at this point and most of last month was even worse. Keeping my eye out for something similar.

Heffe found this one a while ago and I have been keeping my eye on it. It is a little different but seems much more full featured. The private option seems like it might even be cool to do beta tests and stuff.
https://wikifactory.com/discover

1 Like

I really like Prusaprinters.org . It is always fast. I just wish it had a better way of handling pictures.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m considering giving github a shot for 3d models too.

1 Like

Github seems awesome for this but does lack the network aspect of TV. So searching mpcnc on github is not going to get you the user made mounts and stuff in an easy to find way. if people forked it to stay in the tree it could help a little but It is missing the “fun” part of searching TV for new files and models (for me at least).

I do think it is probably the best option for the main file source and then use that to add them to other sites…for now.

2 Likes

I do too. The fact that it is fast, is such a relief.

I agree that this is valuable. Being able to visually see different remixes and makes is very helpful when looking for models.

1 Like

myminifactory.com

1 Like

This past week, I did a little test and searched for hemera bl touch (cause I needed one). TV still had more than double all the other sites combined. It is anyone’s game to win right now, and we are stuck, since even a new model, like the hemera mounts are coming in so frequently to TV.

I think anyone who has something like the MPCNC that wants it to be found from search needs to put their thing on TV, but we’ll see more duplicates on other sites.

Prusa printers has a good chance, and they even have a feature to import files from TV, but they annoyingly encourage uploads of gcode, which is the stupidest thing, IMO.

1 Like

Only if you’re going for a generic, all-purpose site. If you’re expecting everyone to have the same printer, then sharing gcode isn’t the stupidest thing. Not necessarily the smartest, either, but there you go…

Just imagine the trouble when someone makes a model that would fit on a mini bed, but is centered on a mk3s bed, so it won’t work on the prusa mini.

Or imagine the maker of a functional part, like an MPCNC part sliced it with 0.1mm layers.

It makes no sense to me.

I did say it wasn’t the smartest idea. :wink:

I assume they are targeting absolute new users who just got their printer plugged in, and want to print something. Waste some filament, then either return the printer in frustration, or spend some time learning how to use a slicer and all the “fun” that comes with trying to figure out which levers to pull and what knobs to turn (especially when you can watch three YouTube videos with eight different, often contradictory, answers).

Agreed. They should have stuck with the 3mf files that have all those settings saved into it. Then they can change what they need before they hit the slice button.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s a poor man’s DRM

1 Like

I made a mpcnc foot sliced in point1 mm layers. It was smoooooooth!

1 Like

Just one, huh?

Thingiverse is unusable at moment and makerbot has no real intention of fixing it.

I use https://www.yeggi.com/ when i am looking for something specific.

I still miss browsing through new stuff and cool creations though.
I especially liked the “best of the week” collections on thingiverse.

2 Likes

They need to get rid of the Google+ button… :wink:

The worst part, to me, is that there is clearly a lot of content creators out there, and a huge market for people who want to browse it. It’s a shame that there is so much difficulty getting something like that going, and then even more difficulty getting acceptance.

I just can’t imagine how expensive that must be to run. Keeping these forums fast enough is hard we ran out of storage super fast. It would take some serious money to keep that working internationally.

1 Like