Another Lowrider build from the Netherlands

It is really looking nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you measure this? Especially over such a span, I would not know how to make this measurement.

I think you can do this with a long enough (and straight-enough) straight-edge. But Iā€™ll defer to the experts.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a true straight edge of 300cm, and a few decks of playing cards. The playing cards measure 0.3mm of thickness. I can put the ruler anywhere on the table, an nowhere iā€™m able to slide a playing card under the ruler.

Thatā€™s my simple measurement, iā€™m sure some industrial experts will be able to prove me wrong ;-). But within my reach of measurement iā€™m within 1 playing card thickness off, of true flat.

Top coat starts shining:

[attachment file=117886]

2 Likes

Somewhere Iā€™ve seen flattening woodworking tablea done this way, but they additionally put winding sticks at each end to look for twist. You can have some twist and pass the straight edge test. I donā€™t think it matters with the LR, since the machine is going to follow the twist anyway. I think that was probably from one of the Christopher Schwarz books on workbenches.

1 Like

Also, that is a beautiful table.

2 Likes

@jeffeb3 twist will always show in the diagonal lines over the table. This is indeed measured. Winding sticks are mainly used on smaller objects where twist is less evident to be observed. The table top has a tiny fraction of twist that shows by the one diagonal allowing a slight shim of light under the ruler in the center, and the other diagonal showing a fraction of light under the tips of the ruler. This falls within a 0.2-0.1mm range as i can just slide a piece of thin paper under the ruler (with friction).

2 Likes

And the table is finished (for now, in the future iā€™ll add doors and drawers.) Now iā€™m waiting for some parts i need (longer cables) to move the LR2 to its new home.

[attachment file=118082]

2 Likes

Even if your drawers end up being boxes, you should use the CNC to make them.

That monster looks really awesome. I canā€™t wait to see what you build with it.

1 Like

Iā€™d be so disappointed the first time I accidentally drove my bit below the spoil board if I had that nice of a tableā€¦ Not that Iā€™ve ever done that, mind you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that a birch log standing behind the table?

@Barry, nope its its better, itā€™s Cherry

The same tree as where i made this plaque of:

[attachment file=118163]

Nice!

Today i ā€œfinishedā€ setting up the Lowrider (not really finished yet as i still have some mechanical fine-tuning todo and i have ordered a 32-bit controller and LCD with touchscreen).
[attachment file=118431]

The final useable workarea is: 265x125 cm
[attachment file=118432]

Yesterday i designed a new Y-Belt system since i could not use the version by: Tailslide anymore for this set-up.

Main considerations:

• Easy and precise to set-up with minimal belt waste:
    [attachment file=118433]

• working fine ajustment for belt tension:
    [attachment file=118434]

• Ajustable y-endstop bumpers to enable finetuning of ā€œsquarenessā€:
    [attachment file=118435]

If there is interest iā€™m willing to share the files.

2 Likes

Please do share on thingiverse. Nice design.

As requested by @Bill:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3928671

3 Likes

Very interesting design thereā€¦and love the tableā€¦great job there !!!

Now time to enjoy it I guess.