Not sure what to call this one. My working title was “fakeowl” since I had in mind something like the FlexRC owl but wanted to size it for 5" props. I had seen something like that before but couldn’t remember where or what it was called. After I started drawing it and talking about it on the flitetest.com forums the guy who had the owl that inspired me reminded me that it was his shen drones Danaus I was thinking of. And that in turn was based off a QAV210 with prop guards added.
For reference my Onshape project for this is here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a023e2b86f7f9d2ca94cf0a7/w/8954d4f2255b144f9064ef10/e/3d3ae8cebc5730c002d79eb8
I started last Monday just sketching out some ideas to get a feel for what I was hoping to make and get a feel for how big it would be:
Seems viable. Last week my wife had to work late all week so I wasn’t able to get out to my shop and actually cut anything until Thursday. Instead I continued to revise my design in CAD:
And side view to gauge how tall the standoffs need to be:
Starting to come together! That motor in CAD was one I found in onshape search that was close but not quite the same as what I’d be using. But good enough for a mockup. And by Thursday I had some time to sneak out to the shop and run some gcode. I had planned on using 1/8" ply but was only able to find 5mm ply in sizes large enough at my local stores. So gotta go with what you can find sometimes:
Hey, this is looking pretty viable! Let’s put some gear on it. This is the “guts” from my “ultra budget mini quad” 3D printed angled arm edition (I’m not good at naming things) that also featured parts made on my MPCNC (The top and bottom plates) but they were simpler and could almost have been cut by hand quicker and easier. This is finally something I wouldn’t want to cut by hand and a good chance to really put the MPCNC to use!
I could try to fly it like this…but…one of the design aspects on this is that it’s kind of “inverted” with the motors on top and the props below them. The idea is with less obstruction under the motors you get slightly more efficiency - but I’ve also heard that this style of setup just “flies better” this way. So this is just mockup at this point.
Next I ran off a bunch of standoffs on my printer:
And now it’s time for other other plate. Should be easy, it’s simpler with no motor mounts, no flight controller mount, and no battery strap holes! Plus the outside is simpler since only 3 sides have “Dents” leaving a shelf in the front for my FPV camera.
But the forum gets upset if I post too many photos and things got…complex…on that simple cut so…next post please!