Another request for pre-build advice!

Petg will deflect. It is not as rigid. I don’t know if I know enough to say for sure, but Ryan has said on several occasions that pla is the right material.

It’s unfortunately not a stronger/worse comparison. It is different.

PETG is better than ABS though. ABS is the worst :face_vomiting:

1 Like

#$^%^&@^…I’ve cut it twice and it’s STILL too short!

1 Like

If you print in petg, add a couple extra shells.

nowt wrong with abs specially if you have no central heating :joy:

I have to second Jeff on this one - I was originally going to use PETG for mine, just because it seems like an all-around better material than PLA (which I’ve had a lot of problems with cracking after about a year (on other projects, not this one)). After printing the first couple of parts I found them to be quite springy (which I think is great for the two parts that hold the Z-axis tubes) but I suspect bad for most of the other pieces. I ended up using PLA for everything except the bottoms of the feet and the 2 Z-axis parts.

One more cut should do it them… :speak_no_evil: (sorry - couldn’t resist)

2 Likes

Well go get the pipe stretcher then!

2 Likes

Measure twice, cut once, go to the store to get another one…

1 Like

No welder to glue it back?

Nah, just slip a broom handle down the tube, and a bit of duct tape for stability…

Guys at work like to ask for a more-on tool when they cut stuff short.
If I spelled it any other way someone would end up in sensitivity training…

4 Likes

I used to “volunteer” at a well-known pizza delivery chain for free food. They’d often send the new guy to Wal-Mart for an “Emergency Dough Repair Kit” if the crust got torn when they were making the pizzas… Some of the Wal-Mart employees would even send them on a wild goose chase in the store for a while before they stopped long enough to think it through.

1 Like

I worked in a bakery and when it would get super crazy busy and everyone was fanatically running around we would send a new person to the back to look for dehydrated water, HAHAHAHA. everyone would be hustling and in kinda a funky mood from it and a baker would grab the newest person “Hey, I need you to find at least 3 boxes of dehydrated water…(if they said anything which was rare you add, I know it sounds stupid, but it’s back there). If you can’t find it grab a forklift driver, they will know where it is.” All the forklift drivers were in on it. Everyone would get the biggest kick out of it, the longer they were gone the more everyone laughed, it was so awesome. None of the new people ever even got mad about it, everyone had a good time with it in the end.

2 Likes

In theatrical lighting, the changeable color filters are high-tech polymers these days, but originally they were made from gelatin, which is why they’re still called “gels.” Standard “new guy” hazing was to send them to “wash the gels” and enjoy their looks of terror as they dissolved.

4 Likes

My grandfather was a mechanic in the air force back before jets. They’d send the newbies to the other end of the flite line for a bucket of prop wash.

2 Likes

The standard initiation in our house for a new boyfriend or girlfriend was my dad asking them to pass the coleslaw. There never was coleslaw on the table and we all watched as their eyes grew wide and panicked that they couldn’t find it.

1 Like

After watching an intern google “crescent wrench” the next tool we asked him to find was an adjustable metric. When he came back he said all he could find was a 6” one.

1 Like

I would die, pure panic!

1 Like

Petg is fine but you have to add more shells and more infill to get it to be as stuff as PLA, so why spend more filament and time when you can print in less time with cheaper PLA?

What I would do, for anyone coming across this thread in the future, print the foot, check it against conduit at the store, then buy conduit and print the rest in the size you need.

Petg is more heat tolerant though. There have been a couple warped machines due to being in unairconditioned sheds in the summer.

PETg is also much less likely to crack. Basically it’s a trade off of whether strength of part or rigidity is more important to you.