Any recent experience sourcing a laser in Canada?

I’m mostly looking for the sweet spot for lasers on Amazon.ca. There seem to be a lot of options in the $100-200 CAD range and I’m wondering if anyone has experience with them?

Most of the ads don’t have all the information I want like control voltage, max running time, clearly state the output wattage, etc so if somebody else has ‘guessed and hoped’ that would be very helpful.

I will probably be mostly laser engraving on wood, but would love to be able to cut thin sheet goods, even if it is with many passes just to say I can :slight_smile:

Initially switching with the router on my MPCNC, but eventually will build a dedicated machine. I’ve been salvaging parts for ages and have lots of parts including lots of stepper motors and even 3 lasers, but they are all huge, low powered, and undocumented … also possibly not functional. I had thought of building a fixed laser and mirror setup that I could later upgrade to a CO2 laser, but would like to keep it simple for now.

I have been reading posts here for a long time and most of the popular laser suggestions like JTech, the Leo Laser, $100 laser, etc are a lot more expensive once you get them to Canada.

Is the sweet spot still around 2.8 watts with more powerful lasers just having a larger spot so the energy/area isn’t more? It’s hard not to go for the 5-7 watt lasers when they are only a little more expensive.

Here are a couple I have looked at recently (I have edited the list down to two choices):

1. 5.5watt $120 CAD This one is both literaly and figuratively at the top of my list.

2. Ox lasers 3.5watt $120 CAD

Follow up question. Is this one essentially a $100 Leo laser? It has the same diode … or says it does.
Leo Laser on Amazon?

I’m following along on this one. I have no idea about specific laser answers for you.

The one I can give is for etching 2.8W is still pretty high and you would have much better color range with lower, for cutting go a little bigger but I have a feeling at about 3-5W you will not see much above that. So just decide etching or cutting.

Thanks Ryan,
I actually tried ordering a 3.5 watt one, but the delivery times were crazy and I was nervous about ordering directly from China so I went with the 5.5 watt one above. Even on Amazon, things that normally take a couple days are being estimated at about a month. I’m hoping the 5.5 watt version is a good compromise between power and spot size. I will try to do a review when I get it … or ask for help getting it going :slight_smile:
James

I am very interested in your results and how you connect/control it. (What board are you using for your MPCNC?) I am looking at the same/similar 5.5w lasers for cutting up to 1/4 inch materials like birch, plywood, and chipboard and I am curious to know if this laser is reasonably capable of that.

I have this laser https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TZVTKMW/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza on a 3018 desktop CNC. It can nearly cut through 1/8" MDF in ~15 passes @ 150mm/min. When I say “nearly” I mean, some spots cut through and straight cuts break off cleanly.

On my current set up I cannot change the Z with each pass, if I could I have a feeling it could actually cut through.

1/4" is probably a pipe dream for a reasonably priced diode, but 1/8" would get me almost all of my use cases.

@schmorrison

The reviews of that say that there is pretty much no documentation or support.

I am all thumbs when it comes to electronic engineering. I assume that the controller is attached on top of it, and that its red (+) and black (-) for power, and its blue (+) and white (-) for the TTL?

Do you have any issues with TTL not working? One of the reviewers had issues with his.

Yup thats right. Not an officially supported laser that Genmitsu sells alongside this unit sometimes. I forget the exact wiring jumper I plugged it into on the 3018. But I believe I used just the red/black pair. Ill check tomorrow and provide a picture.

@schmorrison
I am interested in this still if you have pictures. I don’t have a 3018, just my MPCNC, but it should be similar enough.

@rovgeek
I am also still interested in your trials, whenever you get your laser and test it out.

check out my build thread, amazon 2.3 watt in Canada.

it should give some examples of whats capable at that wattage. I’m happy with my amazon laser. let me know if you have any questions
I bought my laser from Amazon, 2.3 watt, constant current driver, which made things very simple. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07H98XHWN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just updated my machine to the latest Ramps firmware available , 414.

If you are going the RAMPS route, here are the changes in firmware I did to make it work. you wouldn’t have to modify the steps per mm.

just hook up your laser control pin to pin 44 after that and you’re good to go.

It’s pretty impressive getting through 6mm with a 2.3w laser.

I have no interest in engraving, just cutting, and I am hoping that the 5.5w or 6w lasers mentioned in this topic will be easily capable of 3mm cutting (and it would be a huge bonus to be able to cut 6mm).

The capabilities and wattage of these lasers is a bit confusing. I read that a 5.5/6w laser is barely capable of 3 mm with 15+ passes, but you have a 2.3w that can cut 6mm. Is there some other factor that I am missing with these?

I couldn’t get someone knowledgeable to take a good picture of the controller, but here is a picture of the simple cuts I did.

Here is the wiring for the laser

I forgot to mention that I had to modify the tool holder to actually fit this laser, so here is a picture of that

Btw I got my first MPCNC running this weekend, no comments cause I know it needs alot of work. ;))

2 Likes

Looks fine. Just needs new parts… That’s like, what V1 stuff? Not even 525, right? Lucky you, new version is right around the corner! :wink:

Whoa, that is a V2 center and rollers, and V3 feet and corners.

I ordered one of the 6w lasers for the MPCNC, hopefully I have it running in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Yeah, :sweat_smile:. Like I said no questions. I started printing shortly after version 1 released. Shelved it a few times over the years. Redid the corners a couple weeks ago when I decided to build it. Finally got the electronics this week. Really excited to print the new Z and rollers tho :blush:

1 Like

Honestly I’ve had no problems with it. I’m gonna try to get the Z axis moving on mine, hopefully that will make it more ‘powerful’.

Holy cow, I didn’t see the announcement for the 2020 MPCNC design. That’s really exciting!

2 Likes