anyone ever use a pressure foot with the low rider?

anyone use one of these? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZd1dsWliIQ&t=48s
seems like it would help hold down thin plastic when using an upcut bit.

I haven’t had much luck with downcut bits in the past. Using a styroam spoil board that can accept all the shavings getting rammed downward seems to be the only way I can get it to work.

1 Like

I have never seen that before. That could work for thin material, with good hold down tabs. Nice find.

1 Like

I see that this was originally a 2018 post - but I recently read about a spring-load pressure plate for around the cutter head. I thought it was engenious - especially with using an up-cut bit. But I was thinking if it would be too-strong for the LR2 and cause a significant camber on the X axis. Maybe there is a way to make it with less torque/force, but until I am really cutting a mountain, I suppose it can be a question of later than now.

Hi, I’m in the process of designing a Press plate for the lowrider with Makita router. The design is roughly based off of this one: press plate bearings

The bearings might be a solution to unwanted drag and friction.

1 Like

Did you ever build this, I’m looking at design one…

Hi Liam. No I have not continued at all on this. Seeing this post has reminded me so I think I’ll go back to it :wink:

1 Like

this is kind of old but im looking for a solution like this

I brought one, didn’t give had a good initial experience with it so not used it again. It needs a lot of force on it to hold the material down which causes the bearings to leave marks on the workpiece.

@Joebus’s design seems better.

How did you installed it in the lr2?

My LR2 is basically a MPCNC on LR2 rails, so the rails were static, and the spindle moved up and down, the foot was designed to fit onto a 80mm spindle.

1 Like

So i want to see this creation! Any youtubes?

1 Like

Yes, i can see it lifting the wheels. I don’t care about marks because in my use case im always working on the backside of the material. My lowriders are in the evolution process to be the new pokemons (lr3) and also got a cheapo workbee cnc modified to be a full sheet (that one i already started another mod to make it use the openbuilds pinion &rack gears. Im laser cutting the new plates just for fittings then going to cut them from aluminum on a friend fiber laser

I’ve got a thread on it in the LowRider section.

Found it. Not sure how i missed that. Wow!

Now i want to see :see_no_evil: it… Share the link

I think it is this one.

There is a video in the first post.

1 Like

Ok, thanks man you :rock:

Just saw it its not a pressure foot. Its a vac adapter :athletic_shoe:

The only pressure foot I’ve ever needed:
montyPython_foot

That is what it was.