Anyone making faceplates with a low watt laser?

I have MPCNC machine as well as separate laser machine. Both running marlin, laser is specific to the dual y build. I’d love some advice from those experienced with cutting faceplates (i.e. amplifiers) on low watt lasers. For the laser, I’m using a 3.5w diode. I have done a few, but not getting the best results. I do know i need to turn down the power and/or speed up the etching. But it is getting costly testing on the actual material. Wood doesn’t behave the same.

Love some example settings for both cutting and etching text. I’m using laserweb, but thinking about buying lightburn.

What type of wood is it you are trying to cut…and how thick?.. I think you are probably expecting a bit too much from a 3.5W laser. A 3.5w laser will cut balsa sheet at about 1/2mm per pass, perhaps a little better if it is dialled in just right, to cut a harder wood it is going to need air assist to blow the smoke and debris out of the way and you will most likely end up with a charred mess with sloping sides…is that what you are getting? The best I have ever managed with that power laser is 1/4" balsa @100% power, 1000mm/min and 7 passes - from memory. You have to keep the speed up or else the balsa will set on fire. Your best bet might be to use the laser to mark the wood that you want to cut and then use a suitable saw to actually cut it out.
/2p.

1 Like

Sorry, I wasn’t clear on the material. I’m using 2layer acrylic sheets like so:

Different can of worms then :slight_smile:

laser cutting acrylic with a diode is highly dependent upon the acrylic itself…cast acrylic being better than extruded and the colour has a large effect too. As your quoted acrylic specifically mentions lasering then I imagine it will probably engrave ok with your laser but as for cutting it…that is in the lap of the gods. Suck it and see.

you might like to take a look at this guy’s warthog cockpit instruments…he uses a co2 laser which is much better suited to cutting acrylic (higher frequency energy) and the results he gets is just superb…