Anyone tried painting their Dewalt 660

Rad mixer. Same shade as Prince’s motorcycle.

1 Like

Sneak Preview of the case. I feel like this should have a purple saber light coming out of the collett.

Pro-tip: don’t order replacement parts from M&M tools. They screw you with the 3 week wait. If I wanted to order from China, I would have ordered FROM china. Found the brush holder on ebay. See I finally got comfortable calling it a brush.

So worth it for the look, don’t you think?

2 Likes

Looks really good. Can’t wait to see it in the machine.

My 3yo has a tiny light saber key chain. She thinks it is a “light saver”. She runs around the house pointing it at people and screams, “I saved you!”. :slight_smile:

What a fun age. Have a 13 y/o here, but the things they say are the best. I still call our washing machine the “wash-a-my-clean” because it is so poetically fitting.

Yep, I had rough figured a month long build but have some many other projects going and doing the enclosure was new territory and skills for me.

Here is what I did last night

3 Likes

Wha?! How did you do that? You should make a new thread with that and share some of the process. Looks amazing.

1 Like

I didn’t use a CNC, but I guess you could make it with a tiny bit and black infill. ok will share in the right category

1 Like

@Zymurgist I agree with Jeff I’d love to see more in your project.

1 Like
2 Likes

Jeffeb3,
Finally getting around to finishing this project. It has been a worktable for other projects.
Question for you – I bought the series kit, then ordered the dual end stop wiring. Where does one find for sale the other wiring that goes from end of the dual end stop wiring (white cable) to the connection on the limit switch?
i can’t seem to find it, thank you!

I am not sure. I don’t have the wiring kit on my machine. But you could solder it, or find some spade connectors. I am sure there will be some good advice here shortly.

The V1 shop sells 2 different limit switches. One with large terminals and One with a roller. They need slightly different spade connectors.

The large terminal one will connect with small (2.54mm, IIRC) spade connectors. I had some in a kit already, but the roller one (Which is what I’m using on my Primo), I didn’t have any spade terminals that fit. I ended up soldering wire to those and fitting them to a DuPont connector. I just made the wiring harness about the same length as what I had on the motors.

So I have the non-roller. So to verify, the limit switch end is called “spade connector” and the other end is called a “DuPont” connector? and I will need to solder both ends in, right?

This kit from Amazon is what I have for spade connectors. The small female fittings fit those switches.

A DuPont connector kit like this is what I have for the other end.

In both cases, I crimp the connector rather than solder. Solder is good for things that don’t move at all, but is more prone to stress failures over time if the wire is subject to any kind of movement. If you solder, you MUST also provide strain relief, otherwise, it’s like a chunk of solid wire, which will fail if it flexes.

Thanks Dan!
so another tool I need to buy and use once to crimp…or can I get buy with pliers? Sorry for asking just not familiar. Will try searching YouTube

I got by with pliers for a long time. I bought the tool once I started fiddling with things like 3D printers, and the MPCNC because crimping those DuPont pins became something that I did often.

Yeah was just thinking if I break one of these somehow I’d be down… I cant see doing the tiny DuPont ones with pliers so… more stuff on order that I’ll use once.

Last weekend I bought a metric Tap set (son cross threaded his RC car, $50 part). Also a torque wrench, a flexible socket shaft, a U jointed socket wrench and several other things I can’t remember to change a water pump and thermostat. Other parts and tools for a boat repair.

I need a neighbor who is handy and has a lot of hobbies, running out of space and money haha.

2 Likes

Late to the party, but wanted to share my experience.
My wife works for a large “Hobby” company and is higher up in the management track. She gets selected to go to new stores in the region and put the store together from scratch. Tools are always necessary, so she has her own set, to include a few DeWalt drills.
Theft is fairly common for the power tools (they hire temp larborers from the area to help with the build), so we decided to paint her power tools pink. Not only would it be obvious who owned the pink DeWalt drill, but none of the men would be caught dead using pink tools.
We ended up taking the whole drill apart, cleaning it up really well, sanding the surfaces to be painted (rough them up a bit to help the paint grab), and did different layers of paint. Primer, paint, clear coat. It took a while, but turned out perfectly. All the other ladies at the store set wanted to know where she got it because it looked like it was from the factory.

4 Likes

Guy across the street from me is selling his house. Has a pool and shop on the property.

Dan,
Thank you for the tips. was Definitely a bit of an art to crimping these without getting them stuck in the crimper, but got 'em done.

Was pretty excited I was going to power it on finally, but alas will need to order something else from amazon that didn’t come with all the stuff from the store and/or I lost it?. Looks like I need to order a ‘pluggable terminal block’. to power it up. huh. well thats on me