Apartment possibilities?

I have been slowly buying and printing the parts for my MPCNC. Recently though I have decided to move out into an apartment. Wondering if anybody had any tips or if you think it would even be possible. I haven’t ran a CNC yet only 3D printer so I don’t quite know how loud it will really be. Of course I would never run it early in the morning or late at night. I’m sure I would just have to end up building some sort of sound dampening enclosure, but there would still be a rather loud vacuum involved.

We have a shapeoko at the makerspace I belong to. We had a harbor freight router on it and it was a bit of a screamer. We wound up getting a quite cut spindle from inventables and it seemed alot quieter. https://www.inventables.com/technologies/quiet-cut-spindle It’s alot better but it still makes some noise.
I’m haven’t decided yet what I’m going to use on my machine.

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/quiet-spindle-vs-dewalt-660/

Oth… I just ran across this thread which gives me pause on this spindle.

Pretty sure running one of these in an apartment is a good way to have to find a new place to live!

Any router/vacuum setup is going to be way noisy, probably more than practical for most apartments. You could run a laser, though - they make almost no noise at all.

Hi,

I used my mpcnc very often in my appartment.
I have built a “box in a box” around my mpcnc. (I can post some foto or video if someone interrested by the project)

I have tested both dewalt 611 and dremel 4000.
And for both, the noise is totally acceptable. My TV is far lowder than my mpcnc !

I was surprised to find just how quiet mine is. At least without any tools on it :smiley:

The X/Y/Z motion is actually considerably quieter than the same motion on my 3D printer. The linear bearings on the 3D printer are just a lot noiser than the bearing setup used on the MPCNC.

If you’re going to use it for 3D printing or with a laser or pen then it’s no big deal and super quiet.

Basically the only noise to worry about is the noise of the tools you mount to it. If you can get away with using a router in your apartment without upsetting anyone then the MPCNC with a router on it should be no different. The only real difference I’ve noticed is that the MPCNC is more patient than me so it will run tools sustained for longer periods of time than I do when working manually.