ARCHIM vs RAMBO

I’m about to take on the MPCNC project and decided I would ask something that has been on my mind. Is there a reason that the hardware/electronics kits sold dont have an option for the Archim board? Would it be a better option to go with the Rambo board? Would either board have a noticeable benefit over the other? And would the Archim board come flashed with the correct firmware like the it says the rambo boards will if I were to buy it and the boardless kit from the site. Thanks so much for your time.

The Archim1 firmware is brand new, as in I have not ever made a cut with it yet, I have used it many times over a almost a year now, but still we just got it “fully integrated” into Marlin so there could be issues. Right now there is zero functional difference between them, and likely to stay that way for a long time to come. If you are even the slightest bit hesitant just stick with the Rambo.

The archim1 will not come pre-flashed as I am likely to be making a few small edits and it would need to be re-flashed anyway.

1 Like

Hello!
You have not answer about benefit of the Archim board… Is ti just the stepper driver definition 1/32 instead of 1/16 that will be the only benefit? and will it really be a gain of precision?

I think what Ryan’s trying to say is that although the Archim board will be capable of more processing, the current software doesn’t need that extra speed, so the user experience remains the same. The assumption is that in the future there will be additional things added if you are running the Archim board that will allow you to do more.

1 Like

Ryan/Anybody… You stated in the above post that the Archim 1.0 boards are NOT shipping preflashed as of the end of November 2018… Has this changed? I’m having an issue (well, i’m being modest, I have a wide range of issues, but that’s a different story!!) with getting my MPCNC with Archim 1.0 up and running.

I will post a new thread on this now so as not to clutter things up!

Ron

No, I am not currently flashing them. They are flashed and tested but not with my firmware.

One other major difference that I see is the ARCHIM uses Trinamic TMC2130 stepper drivers, which are likely much quieter and more configurable than the (as far as I can tell) unspecified drivers on the RAMBo boards.

I’m working on my first MPCNC build and I think I’m leaning towards Archim2 for my main board

If you enable TMC_DEBUG, you can also find out all kinds of neat info about the drivers, like if they detected an open loop. or a short, or overtemp.

I sell the Archim1 with DRV8825. I am not a fan of the trinamics for this application…but I know a lot of you guys are. I don’t want people to think I have the trinamics though and be bummed.

Thanks for the clarification. What’s behind the preference against Trinamic here?

Lower noise doesn’t help when you have a router going through wood, and the max current is a bit lower. I don’t think anyone has made good use of the advanced features like sensorless homing or stall detection.

On the other hand, Trinamic is generally preferred for zenxy where noise matters more and torque matters less.

1 Like

Yup that, and the fancy sensorless homing is good for a printer that it doesn’t actually matter where it homes, I can’t imagine I would be happy with the accuracy.
https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Stall_detection_and_sensorless_homing

I use an Archim Board that I flashed with Ryans firmware and I’ve cut stuff, also using Dual Endstops