Arduino tacho help

Hi On my CNC Chinese spindle I have 2 sets of wires. 1 set of 3 connects to W, V and U. The other set of 5 connects to the controller terminals marked HALL+, HA, HB, HC and HALL-. I’m assuming these are Hall output signals from the spindle. I currently control the spindle speed with a pot connected to the controller. I’ve measured between H+ and H- and I have 5v. Between say HA and HALL- I have approv. 2.35V on full speed and rising to 2.5v as I reduce the spindle speed. With control at 0 and the spindle no longer revolving I get 5v. Could I connect these to an Arduino with a LCD display to show me the spindle speed and if so how. Also would I be able to run this on battery so I can leave it attached to the motor controller. I’ve never used an Arduino before, but have done a wee bit of electronics.

Hi, A picture of which one you have might help get a quick answer.

69CD2845-7998-4567-BF77-D447CB4338EF
This is the controller

2D82034A-AE2D-4DD9-8F1C-6725351FE0CE

This is the spindle

Have a look on the site you bought that from, I got one recently (have not tried it yet) It came with a $6 speed readout. Plugs in with 3 wires. Tom shows it in his last mpcnc build video towards the end, just before all hell breaks loose.

Thank you I’ll take a look

1 Like