Aspire Post Processor

Yeah, I was reading on mobile, and didn’t see the second page at all.

Sorry!

Hmm… when I start the print, the Z-axis moves up about 3 inches before moving to the X/Y coordinates and cutting in the air. I’ve tried the first post processor file and the one from 12/8/17, as well (which doesn’t move up as much but slowed down to a crawl).

Any ideas on what the problem is? I might try what another user here said and just output it as a DXF file and then use estlcam to go from there until I figure out the issue.

Did you rest the board or run a g92 X0 Y0 Z0 before you started the cut?

I’m a super noob at the gcode/programming side of these things, so I have no idea. :confused: Looking at the gcode editor in Repetier, it looks like they were setting it with a G90?

I did, however, save the Aspire file as a DXF and was successfully able to throw that into estlcam and print what I wanted. So, there’s that. Now, the issue is just figuring out how to make it print using only Aspire. I have all the gcode files if you’re interested in seeing those.

I apologize for my ignorance… at least learning this stuff is interesting!

And lol. Before I posted this, I went to check on it again and saw my mount apparently broke. I have no idea when or how. Looks like I’ll be ordering one of those, too!

I use : Emco VMC ATC (mm)(*.nc)

I have the first firmware version, this PP worked from the built in drop down. I have used it for a couple of years now. The X and Y dimensions are shy by 2%. I have just added 2% to the dims if it is critical to the part, but for art and carving, I don’t make any changes. This may help you in troubleshooting at least. I only haven’t tried the new post processor because this works well for me, and got me cutting right away. My z axis also retracts prior to running the job, so it’s likely on the vectric end somewhere (not safe z height, that’s from surface of material, between plunges).

Alright, so I’ve looked a little more stuff up, so I’m not as oblivious as I was. Should the G92 look like this? Or should it go after that G90 stuff?

;Project aspire ;Created by Estlcam version 11 build 11.036 ;Machining time about 00:12:26 hours

G92 X0 Y0 Z0

G90
M03 S24000
G00 X0.0000 Y0.0000 Z0.0000 F2100
G00 Z2.0000 F480

1 Like

Alright, so I’ve looked a little more stuff up, so I’m not as oblivious as I was. Should the G92 look like this? Or should it go after that G90 stuff?

;Project aspire ;Created by Estlcam version 11 build 11.036 ;Machining time about 00:12:26 hours

G92 X0 Y0 Z0

G90
M03 S24000
G00 X0.0000 Y0.0000 Z0.0000 F2100
G00 Z2.0000 F480

That looks correct. That just means, Reset the axis to zero. As long as it is before any movement it is fine.

1 Like

You are in the aspire thread asking about estlcam though. Is that what you meant to do?

I’m wanting to use Aspire but have that Z-axis issue, so I’m hoping that exporting it to gcode and throwing the G92 line in there fixes the issue. :slight_smile:

Which of our post processors are you using?

I used the first one posted (Z-axis went super high), then the third (Z-axis lower but super slow), and, finally, the second (all earlier in the thread, of course). So, the Marlin_mm.pp ones.

I actually took the second one, added the G92 command to its core file, and SUCCESS! I was able to output the gcode from Aspire Vectric and use it in Repetier without any additional fiddling. :smiley: If anyone wants it, I can post it.

Thank you a ton for your help, Ryan… I’ve loved this whole process and my new toy.

Chris, please do post it. Also are you having any issues with binding, or the machine plunging to low and getting stuck as mentioned earlier in the thread? Thank you

I had some plunging and binding issues initially, but they were feed and speed related. In aspire, double check plunge rates and stepover,pass depth, etc.,in the tool settings for EVERY bit. I have had some default bit settings that were pretty far out. Just something to keep in mind. Glad to hear the success stories of this post processor! I think I will give it a try!

1 Like

It worked on my practice piece but I want to run it again on an actual piece to make sure everything’s working with it before I post it (I’d feel awful if it working were a one-time thing)… and as TheInventer said, one of the keys is to make sure to adjust the settings on each bit you’ll be using. I had to adjust the speed/plunge rate/step-over/etc. on each one to make sure everything was running smoothly.

The post processors that work are listed at the end of this page.

https://www.v1engineering.com/milling-basics/

Ha! I didn’t realize you had this! This would have made things a bit easier… oh well! I was able to learn a bit and everything’s working fine on my end. :smiley:

BTW, which of the files there would be the right one to use? Test5? Test4?

Alright, critical fail here… I used the Test4 in the Aspire thread and something messed up big time. On the final pass, as it was cutting the tabs, it kept going lower and lower, instead of moving down and up for each one. This eventually lead it to grind the collet on the wood before I was able to stop it. Then, it looks like the Z-axis somehow got reversed, when I told it to go up so I could get the piece it, it instead went down.

Very weird.

Why not test 5? What are your plunge and rapid Z rates?

I had tried Test5 and it had a plunge issue, which I realize was actually a precursor to today’s problem (at the end, instead of raising 20mm for clearance, it plunged 20mm)…

My plunge is 3mm, not sure what my other rapid Z rate is… it has the clearance (Z1) set to 3mm, as well.