Assembly Instructions

Any comments, questions, etc. on the Assembly Instructions go here please! :slight_smile:

Assembly Instructions v0.2

Changelog
Assembly_Instructions_v0.2:

• Added detailed instructions on the z-tower
  • Added the "turn your pulley around" hint
  • Added some "Important"-symbols
  • Changed "put your nuts in the trap" to something else, someone told me it could be misunderstood and lead to major injuries

Assembly_Instructions_v0.1:
Initial commit.

WOW!That Looks great, I can’t thank you enough.

If you want some screen shots, section views any thing like that let me know.

I get a lot of questions on the z-axis and the tool holder, some people just don’t understand the use of the nut traps. I can’t seem to communicate it very clearly. If you can think of a good way to show it I would love to help get it in that great manual you made.

When you finalize it, I would love to add it to the home page if you don’t mind.

Ok I’ll work the section with the Z tower instructions over. Some more pictures should help understanding what the nut traps are for.
I bought conduits with too thick walls and the nut traps don’t fit. I’ll get some conduits I can use to take pics.

Of course this manual can be published as soon as I got some feedback and no mistakes are in it :slight_smile:

What is the inner diameter, I can make new nut traps.

I’m currently using conduits with an inner diameter of 19mm and 21mm. Would be great if you can make new traps for these diameteres.

I like your manual. That should make it a lot easier to put together when I get to that point.

One thing I spotted in the photo you have of the Roller_F + Roller_Motor_Mount at the long bolt, looks like you have 5/16" Bolt, Fender washer, speed washer, Bearing, 2x speed washers, then plastic. The exploded view of this on thingiverse, I only see Bolt, Fender washer, speed washer, bearing & then plastic. Is this more a personal preference with the washers? Your text description for this does not mention the 2x speed washers together. Looks like 2 washers together at the plastic, but I may not be seeing that correctly.

Thank you!

I added the 2nd speed washer to make my belt 100% vertical and it doesn’t get pushed against the fender washer (well it still gets pushed a bit, but only with a minimum force). I need to replace to picture in the instructions, it shows 2x speed washer between bearing and motor_mount, thx!

I put my pulleys on the other way, set screws out. This lets you get the belts as close to the motor mount as possible. The closer the belt the less of a moment arm, the tighter you can get the belt. I’ll try and get some pictures when I get home.

Also if you lengthen your belts just a bit when you use the zipties they can sit a bit more flush. if you get it right the eye of the belt will line up with the zip tie indent and the belt will sit right up against the corner block.

I decided to write a simple Visual Basic .net program to use your formulas to show the amount of conduit, threaded rod & belt needed for different configurations. Here is a link to a screen capture showing your starting dimensions. I could put this program somewhere for others to use. It could stand some reformatting of the text boxes, but seems to work good.

Suggestions for changes are welcome.

http://www.zewind.com/MP_CNC_ProgramCalcs.JPG

I put it in here, 19mm ID

You are now a moderator see if that helps with the edits.

Thanks for all you are doing!

With great power comes great responsibility… please only edit your posts.

They fit perfectly, thanks!

That’s a nice idea, let the pulley loose and move the axis a bit. Then thighten the pulley.

I lost the email, could you resend it or link it here. I would love to put it in a post for more people to use. Get you name in it somewhere so people know who made it. You have skills that I don’t…Might need to lessons.

Ok, Let me put an about box on there 1st and clean up a couple of things with it. I also added another tab so you can display a rough idea of what your layout looks like in 2d. That addition is probably not that useful.

Here is a link to program.

Bofferle created a nice Assembly guide that gave me the formula I needed to calculate the pipe lengths, threaded rod & Belt lengths. I started to make a spreadsheet to do this, but then thought it might be more useful to write a simple Visual Basic .net program to do this.

In the program all you need to do is enter the X, Y & Z numbers for the layout you require, then hit calculate. There is also a Machine Layout tab that will give you a simple 2d visual of what your layout will look like. Click the Draw Layout button to draw it. The gray area shows the usable space. The size I have decided to make is 28x20x6.1 which should work with belt length that came in the kit of parts from here. I might make some custom kitchen cabinet doors & wanted a size big enough for my biggest door.

You can refer to the assembly guide on this site to see how these numbers are calculated. I put the constants used in the calcs on the screen in case these change for some reason. They are grayed out by default to keep you from accidentally changing them.

This is a Windows .net program & requires at least .net 3.5. It should work under Windows XP but have not tried it there yet.
Your virus software may complain when you run this program as it is a new program. At least Norton on my machine complained.

Here is a link to the program in a zip file & a couple of screen captures of what it looks like. You can put the program in any folder you like as there is only one file.
http://www.zewind.com/MP_CNC_v1.zip
http://www.zewind.com/MP_CNC_CalcTab.jpg
http://www.zewind.com/MP_CNC_LayoutTab.jpg

Feel free to make some suggestions for changes.

That program looks great!
I’ll measure the layout at my maschine, the patterns are not equal at the left/right (top/bottom) side from the middle part to the outer maschine parts. A very nice idea to show how it will look like like it :slight_smile:

For the sizes, I used 2"x2" blocks for the corners, 3"x3" blocks for the X & Y axis blocks & 5"x5" for the center block. I centered the gray area on the layout. Let me know how you would like to change those. I am still printing parts, so it will be another week or two before I am ready to put it together & see how the sizes match.

I plan to give this a go this weekend. I may not finish, but I will use this manual and let you know if I find anything unclear. Looks great at first glance, thank you.

bump, v0.2 added